Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a slice, I want the whole Raspberry Pi ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not a slice, I want the whole Raspberry Pi ...

I'm excited and have been predicting something like this since a few years ago when I first learnt of ARM processors. Never predicted they'd be quite so inexpensive, though:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Feel free to add your thoughts/experiences about/with this device ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 9th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Not a slice, I want the whole Raspberry Pi ...

The Debian version works fine, and you've got access to nearly identical repos through it. I'm sure a proper Ubuntu version will be along shortly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just tried to order one here in Australia and can do but not in stock; expected in 72 days! I'll keep trying and email a query ...

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hah, a relative of mine ordered 2 the 2nd day of official production day (I don't know how this is called in English) and he received them at the end of June.

Anyway, this little thing is awesome, we put XBMC into it and we were watching 1080p youtube videos with ease

In everything that has to do with video it goes very well, but, with Debian installed (with lxde desktop) it lags a lot, something like running it through a USB !
    Website

Wallch (Wallpaper Changer): Sourceforge | Launchpad

Beans

Got mine, and it rocks! I have 2 SD cards, one with Debian and one with a build of OpenELEC (XBMC) I cross compiled on it. AS a media player it is outstanding, I've been using it to play HD Iplayer content and it plays it beautifully.

Once they become more readily available, I will get several more for experimenting with home automation and for my boys to learn Linux on.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by hakermania View Post
    Anyway, this little thing is awesome, we put XBMC into it and we were watching 1080p youtube videos with ease
    Yup, it's a damn fine bit of kit, but most people getting one for XBMC alone should be very wary; performance won't be great for general use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Yup, it's a damn fine bit of kit, but most people getting one for XBMC alone should be very wary; performance won't be great for general use.
    True, even with the custom build of OpenELEC, the menus are a little slow, but the coolness factor blows the downsides out of the water for me...

Even Debian with LXDE isn't quick, but for basic browsing and text editing (not using OpenOffice of course) I was quite impressed with what it could do, without the GUI it really zips along quite well given it's specs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    True, even with the custom build of OpenELEC, the menus are a little slow, but the coolness factor blows the downsides out of the water for me...

Even Debian with LXDE isn't quick, but for basic browsing and text editing (not using OpenOffice of course) I was quite impressed with what it could do, without the GUI it really zips along quite well given it's specs.
    It is indeed absolutely cool; I'm thinking of using one for some basic automation, it's ideal due to its power requirements.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Pity about the sluggish OS, but that will come. Sounds fantastic as a media player, though, so just what I'm after. I'll take one with twice the specs, thanks. Same size, of course, but this will definitely do for now.

Are people outside Australia able to obtain these or are they out of stock internationally? What is slightly unclear to me, and forgive me if seems like a dumb question, but where does the 5v power come from? Could you power one in the field with a battery? (Although a 5v battery might not be obtainable.) Can it be hooked up to a breadboard like, say, an Arduino board?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 9th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

Hey Bucky,

I had to wait about 2 months for mine....

You can power it from any 5v source, it has a micro-usb connector so a phone charger powers it. However, you can also use battery power to power it, I guess 4 AA batteries should do it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast