Thread: dual monitors - dvi not working

Beans

dual monitors - dvi not working

Hello and good day

Here is my issue. Just dual booted my windows 7 machine-dell inspiron 570 with latest version of ubuntu 12.04 - very easy, very happy.

I have dual monitors -both acer 221w- one is vga the other dvi. When i first turned it all on, the vga monitor was recognized correctly, but not the dvi one. so i did a bit of research. I downloaded the addition Nvidia driver. I went to the display setting screen and now Ubuntu thinks my vga monitor is a laptop. It still does not even see the other.

one little extra - when i switch back to windows 7 - they both work

Thank you for your help

Jeff

Beans

Re: dual monitors - dvi not working

Thanks Kyzer Eye I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit daul booting W7 and I have one monitor dvi and the other hdmi
    they but show same screen trying to get it so I move to and from

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For gordie69: if you have installed the Nvidia drivers you will have to go to the "XServer Display Configuration" in the Nvidia X Server Settings and change the configuration to twinview.

For kyzereye: not really sure what to tell you, you'll just have to play with the configuration until you have it figured out. Thats pretty much what I had to do

Beans

OK - so i have poked around looking for something else to mess with, but the only thing is the displays setting.

Any thoughts on where else i can look? And why is sees my computer as a laptop?

Thanks

Jeff