Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi AP for sharing 3G Internet - No AP SSID

Beans

WiFi AP for sharing 3G Internet - No AP SSID

Hi Guys,

New Ubuntu user here and are liking it a lot.

I have a problem that I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

Situation

I have installed 12.04 desktop i388 on my Toshiba laptop and managed to get it working with my 3G internet modem (E1762) all good.

However, I'm having trouble trying to create a WifI AP with the laptop to 'share' my 3G internet.

I have created a "New Wireless Network" AP as follows:

SSID: ubuntu
    Mode: ad-hoc
    band: automatic
    IPv4: Shared to other computers
    Security: 128 bit WEP

When I enable this WiFi AP, Ubuntu appears to create the network, however I can't find the Wifi Network when I search for it using my other WiFi devices. It is nowhere to be found.

Am I missing something?

TIA,

Mike

Beans

Re: WiFi AP for sharing 3G Internet - No AP SSID

Bump... Anyone?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: WiFi AP for sharing 3G Internet - No AP SSID

I wonder if your WiFi card doesn't support adhoc mode.

Do you know which wireless hardware you have installed? If not, please paste us the output of this command:

Code:
    lspci
    Kirk

Beans

Thanks ; )

Here is the output from lspci:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b4)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b4)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev b4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Device e823 (rev 07)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000
    05:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04
    )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does your other device support adhoc networking? like many phones and tablets have no support of adhoc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linux_falguni View Post
    Does your other device support adhoc networking? like many phones and tablets have no support of adhoc.
    That might be a good point. I found another forum thread with a similar question, and they solved it by following a tutorial to make their Android phone recognize the network.

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977556

Do you have any other laptops you can test this Ad-Hoc hotspot with in the meantime?

Kirk

Beans

My phone is an Android Google Nexus S. I'll follow the link and see if it contains anything that might help.

Mike

EDIT:Have checked out links and looks like it wants me to root the phone to install software patches... I don't want to do that so I guess my phone just cant connect to ADHOC networks.

Thanks for the help regardless.
    Last edited by Billycat99; July 13th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Billycat99 View Post
    My phone is an Android Google Nexus S. I'll follow the link and see if it contains anything that might help.

Mike

EDIT:Have checked out links and looks like it wants me to root the phone to install software patches... I don't want to do that so I guess my phone just cant connect to ADHOC networks.

Thanks for the help regardless.
    I mentioned your problem to my coworker who owns an Android phone, and he looked at me like I was insane when I asked if his phone could connect to Ad-Hoc networks. He's done it many times.

He has an HTC Thunderbolt. What sort of phone do you have? (Then again, I know his is rooted)

Kirk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

try to see if you can do in via Win 7, i was able to do that on the iPhone. This way you will know if it possible at all.

Beans

I have the same problem with the same scenario. I manage to get the 3G connection up and running, I create a wireless network with NetworkManager, but it cannot be found by my other computer.

My wlan card is an Atheros ar9285, does it support adhoc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast