Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics problems In Power Mac G5 Quad (NVidia)

Beans

Re: Graphics problems In Power Mac G5 Quad (NVidia)

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    As the PowerPC FAQ states, there are no proprietary video drivers available for PowerPC.
    Fair enough, but in this case the additional drivers module is not working at all. I don't want this to be interpreted the wrong way - I highly value your and others work towards making Ubuntu PPC a reality - I am just looking for a working solution.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snip3r8 View Post
    You may also want to read the opinions voiced here http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...t-1247393.html
    I don't know what that is meant to teach us, apart from there are a lot of ignorant and negative people in the world.

To get back to the OP, the problem is mentioned on the PowerPC known issues page, with a workaround to drop down to unity 2d. Since I cannot run unity-3d nor do i have nouveau I'm afraid I cannot help any further than that. If you want fancy compiz stuff then you can add that to unity-2d which will give you pretty much the same as unity-3d.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I don't know what that is meant to teach us, apart from there are a lot of ignorant and negative people in the world.
    Oh no , thats this link https://plus.google.com/

Jokes aside though im pretty sure nouveau will help on top of switching to 2d, I heard Torvalds used to run a G5 ,thats probably why he was so , um... ,vocal about Nvidia
    Last edited by snip3r8; July 9th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans

Sorry to pick up this thread again. But. Any luck out there!? I've just been struggling with the nv driver(less) issue for about a week now, and am also plagued by the white unity gui buttons... and jockey still won't even load, just dumps - but i suspect that one is a non-issue, since the proprietary driver is nothing more than a dream.

[ G5(ppc) late-2005 model, with nv geforce 6600 ]

Beans

I'm sorry for another bump, but anyway, I would recommend that you try Lubuntu 12.04 LTS or 13.04 because they don't have Unity, so you won't have the white icon problem, plus Lubuntu is faster than Ubuntu. If you get a kernel panic on Lubuntu 13.04, your best bet would be 12.04 because 12.10 has the same kernel issue.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12