Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stuck on boot: Syslinux Problem

Beans

Re: Stuck on boot: Syslinux Problem

Alessossy and the others that are wondering why SysLinux boot from USB might be caused - I have found the reason long long time ago (for my case), however I did forgot about it since today when I have met the same problem.

I do not know in particular why this is happening, however the problem is related to the partitioning of the hard drive. I will explain what I mean in details:

I have started testing BackTrack to test my WAN vulnerability. It booted well but had problems with X server which seemed awkward and strange as the image is 100% perfect and MD5 verified.

Tried to boot Fedora 17 which I "burned" to my USB stick with PowerISO (under Windows) and UnetBootIn as well as Universall-Boot-Installer . All caused exactly the same problem - SYSLINUX 4.06 EDD 4.06-pre1 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al (the cursor is flashing on the next row and nothing happens even after 10 minutes of waiting).

I have remembered about the problem and formated the drive with Part Magic which meant in particularly to delete all the partitions, create one NTFS Active and to format it. After that - voila, the system is booting and now I have my Pepermint 3 Linux installed and booting fine on Acer Aspire ZG5 (AOA 150)

Bonne chance everyone and I hope this will enlighten you about another approach to try to fix such problem.

Beans

Well, I guess my digging deeper came back to me with some better suggestions and an idea why this is happening. Actually I shall correct myself as it was not a fix-up if somebody formats his drive. The problem is caused by the records in MBR (Master Boot Records) so if anybody have such problem might try Parted Magic which is a perfect hard drive partitioning linux distro (based on Fedora LXDE - if I am not wrong).

Writing zeros to MBR fixed the booting and now it is all up. Probably the last time I have formated the hard drive I did a whole disk wipening and repartitioning which have also recreated the proper MBR records.

Well good luck and for me now the topic is really closed

Beans

hi, first of all sorry for my english, not my native language, i have made some research with the info posted here, and made some tests, i had the same problem running any distro: i've tried ubuntu, linux mint, and wifiway, and made tests with yumi and unetbootin, and tested it on 2 laptops, the first one (sony vaio) booted the livecd on the usb stick normally with no problems (any distro, with unetbootin or yumi) the other one (lenovo g475), didnt run any of them, no matter the distro, no matter the software used.
    but if i use wifiway with unetbootin and then i run \boot\bootinst.bat
    this script primarily what it does is to run this command
    \boot\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf -d \boot\syslinux %DISK%
    (being %DISK% the letter of our usb stick)
    the problem is solved and now i can boot wifiway on the lenovo g475
    this didnt worked on yumi because i think is a multiboot software and things arent that simple (at least for me)
    so i made some comparisons with winmerge (file comparison tool) comparing the "before command" stick and the "after command" stick, and the only thing that changed was this file:
    \boot\syslinux\ldlinux.sys
    and it was only one line of the file, saddly a text editor is not a propper tool to see that file so i didnt understand what info changed...
    so now its you turn gurus to tell me how i apply this solution to yumi, so i can have my multiboot usb stick working on any computer hehe... well, i hope i have contributed on something...
    Last edited by guritaburongo; April 18th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

I am having the very same problem with my HP Mini. The only distro I could boot so far is DamnSmallLinux, which does not recognize its wireless card anyway. I have spent the last 6/7 hours trying to boot Lubuntu on it, without any luck. The drive is fine (I am typing from Lubuntu live on my Pavilion dv5 right now) as it would boot on three other terminals BUT on the HP mini. I will try to change the values of the MBR if I somehow manage to manipulate it, and let you know if it is resolutive once and for all.

Beans

I'm having the same issue, I'm familiar with syslinux from old days setting up pxe boot, but this is driving me a little nuts.

I know this threads a bit old but did you guys have a Solid state drive or a Bios with EFI?

Beans

I had this issue today when trying to install xubuntu on my old Acer netbook using unetbootin.

Eventually I found out that the problem was that the 1 GB USB-stick was detected as USB-FDD,
    I tried with another newer 4GB USB-stick and it was detected as USB-HDD instead.

After switching to the 4GB USB-HDD stick, I had no problems booting and installing xubuntu with unetbootin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123