Thread: Lightworks Tutorials

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightworks Tutorials

I was a bit frustrated with Openshot today. So I googled up Lightworks to see if there are any news. No, they haven't released a Linux version yet but they have just recently published a series of tutorials to show how to work with Lightworks. Here is the link to tutorial number one - and, well, you'll see the rest in the sidebar.

What I want to say here is, it doesn't look that complicated and intimidating at all. I remember somebody say that if you can manage your projects with Kdenlive or OpenShot, you don't need Lightworks, it's only the professional editors who might need it. But from watching some of those tutorials I feel that it will be just as useful for amateurs as for pros. Just like Photoshop, though a professional tool, might be actually easier and more pleasant to use then the GIMP regardless of whether or not you are a pro.

I'm waiting for the moment they release it for Linux. Wonder what the system requirements will be. I would totally use it over OpenShot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lightworks Tutorials

I completely agree that there's a list of M$ applications that "have no equal" for Linux. My brother is an expert photographer and I am trying to convince him to use GIMP instead of Photoshop, but he keeps telling me that GIMP lacks some essential features PhShop has, something related to 16 bit colour or so...

Beans

It's on it's way, just a question of time. It was demoed running on Ubuntu at some show earlier this year.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the BETA is opening up for a short amount of time if anyone is interested. It's only for development however and isn't suggested for production environments due to it's severe limitations to list a few:
    •There is no SDI or Firewire support (Matrox or Blackmagic)
    •There is no Lightworks USB/Serial console support
    •There is no H.264 MOV support (import/export)
    •The current build is 64bit ONLY
    •There is no Quicktime/MPEG4 export option
    •There is no AVI export option
    •There is no Mackie Audio Mixer support
    •There is no .WMV support

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    the BETA is opening up for a short amount of time if anyone is interested. It's only for development however and isn't suggested for production environments due to it's severe limitations to list a few:
    •There is no SDI or Firewire support (Matrox or Blackmagic)
    •There is no Lightworks USB/Serial console support
    •There is no H.264 MOV support (import/export)
    •The current build is 64bit ONLY
    •There is no Quicktime/MPEG4 export option
    •There is no AVI export option
    •There is no Mackie Audio Mixer support
    •There is no .WMV support
    It might have saved you some time to make a list of what it can do.

Just joking. I'm really glad they're making some progress on the Linux version. This is exciting.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss