Thread: Rhythmbox library duplicate songs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Exclamation Rhythmbox library duplicate songs

Big problem, and can't seem to find a way around it.

I'm doing the music for a big party in about six hours' time, with all my music on a portable hard drive to play through Ubuntu / Rhythmbox to an amp. This is using my little Sony Vaio with 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx), not the system described in my profile and signature.

I used Synaptic to "completely remove" rhythmbox from my computer, then re-installed it. Then I connected the portable drive, started rhythmbox, and *all the music library still showed*...

So I googled, and found that I needed to remove files from ~/.local/share/rhythmbox so I did that.

Then started rhythbox again, and told it that the music was in /media/Backup/Music.

But rythmbox *still* seems to have a record of everything that was on my NAS, even though that was switched off during all the preceding steps.

I used gconf-editor to look for a list of music sources, but didn't find any.

So, how can I make sure that rhythmbox clears out its record of these songs? I will not be using a NAS or any other network, only the external drive.

Please help!

K.
    Last edited by Keith_Beef; July 7th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Ubuntu 19.04 and Debian 9.11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Rhythmbox library duplicate songs

I might be missing something here, but have you selected everything in your Rhythmbox library and removed it from library only, then re-added everything?
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

To teach is to learn. ~ Japanese Proverb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Rhythmbox library duplicate songs

Rhythmbox stores the library in rhythmdb.xml (+ playlists.xml), in the location you mentioned. Deleting these files should be sufficient.

edit: an alternative is to force rhythmbox to use different library files.

E.g., create a library file ~/rdb.xml:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
    <rhythmdb version="1.8">
    </rhythmdb>
    and a playlist file ~/pdb.xml:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <rhythmdb-playlists>
    </rhythmdb-playlists>
    and start rhythmbox using those files:

Code:
    rhythmbox --rhythmdb-file=/home/${USER}/rdb.xml --playlists-file=/home/${USER}/pdb.xml
    Last edited by stderr; July 7th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Ace1 FreeBSD/Gnome 2, i5 2300, 16GB, HX750W, 20TB ZFS pool, 60GB SSD, Fractal Design XL
    Ace2 Ubuntu/Xubuntu, i7 2600, 16GB, HX850W, 4TB, Asus HD6970, Fractal Design R3
    Ace3 Ubuntu/XFCE, E7200, 4GB, OCZ GameXStream 700W, 8TB