Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mozilla cuts back its Thunderbird development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mozilla cuts back its Thunderbird development.

Quote Originally Posted by ade234uk View Post
    What I would love to see is a simple cross platform email client that is also portable. Web mail is great, but is a lot nicer to have your email saved on your desktop. I used thunderbird portable but is crashed on numerous occasions in Windows. It also worked in Linux via Wine.
    Linux itself can be portable, install it to a usb stick, give yourself room to save preferences and such... setup your email on the stick, and just boot from that on the go whe you want to check email .....

I actually wish I knew about that at one stage (had internet off for a year or more) unfortunately when I really could of used that I was a Windows newb, though I had an aunt that allowed me to check email on her computer.. but it would of been nice to boot to usb sync mail and read it such at home, write up email to send at my convencience and then just take it over to sync send and receive mail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    In Evolution when adding a group (a bunch of contacts under one name) to the to field to send you can remove individual emails from that group... which is pretty darned useful...
    You can do this in Thunderbird, but it takes a couple of steps.

Create your email to your group. Instead of sending, choose File > Send Later (or Shift+Ctrl+Return). Go to your Outbox, and drag the email to the Drafts folder. Now edit the email and you can amend the recipients as required.

Web mail is great, but is a lot nicer to have your email saved on your desktop...
    You can get the best of both worlds. Use IMAP with Thunderbird. In the account settings: Synchronisation & Storage > Disc Space > Synchronise all messages locally regardless of age.

That way, you can use TB when you are at your computer, and webmail when you are away. It works well.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    You can do this in Thunderbird, but it takes a couple of steps.

Create your email to your group. Instead of sending, choose File > Send Later (or Shift+Ctrl+Return). Go to your Outbox, and drag the email to the Drafts folder. Now edit the email and you can amend the recipients as required.

You can get the best of both worlds. Use IMAP with Thunderbird. In the account settings: Synchronisation & Storage > Disc Space > Synchronise all messages locally regardless of age.

That way, you can use TB when you are at your computer, and webmail when you are away. It works well.
    Will take another look at this. All my years using computers I have never bothered looking at how IMAP works.

The other thing that has never been developed is a way to export all your emails to html format along with their attachements so you have a proper hard copy.
    Last edited by ade234uk; July 8th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
    www.techheadz.co.uk
    Selection of tutorials and tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I second IMAP with Gmail I use it with evolution/thunderbird myself both and it works great, I sign alll outgoing messages and can encrypt as well... through gmail!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Will take another look at this. All my years using computers I have never bothered looking IMAP.
    It took me several years to try, but having done it, I'll never go back to POP3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The other thing that has never been developed is a way to export all your emails to html format along with their attachements so you have a proper hard copy.
    Why would you want to? Just don't delete the emails that you want to keep. I have a special "Keep" email folder in Thunderbird for long-term email storage.

You can, if you want, save emails in files (File > Save As), but unless you are transferring emails from email client to another without an import option (assuming you do not use IMAP), I don't see the point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    you know the name of the extension?
    I've forgotten what it was called.

I used it once or twice, but found it easier to simply edit the To/CC/BCC entries.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    when we no longer need a email address to have a account on web sites
    **cellphones have email address 00000000@carrier.com is the typical format iirc

i have thunderbird open more than firefox, i know tb was going to get a built in im client in it, wonder if it will show up in the stable release...
    we have to get rid of FAX first ( tee hee )

e\mail is a universal standard. social networks fall short of this because they are all trying to be piggy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    we have to get rid of FAX first ( tee hee )

e\mail is a universal standard. social networks fall short of this because they are all trying to be piggy
    google fell on their fae when they tried to kill email.... lets face it though... waves failure was mostly due to how google handled it.....

=>google unveils wave

=> everyone excited

=> google says only 3 people may use wave (exageration maybe but.... and locks down invites)

=> everyones sad that they cant use wave

=> years go by.. people slowly forget wave.....

=> google releases wave to the masses

=> people who may have noticed wave got released, struggle to remember what it was....

=>google cant understand why it failed.....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Mozilla Thunderbird Abandoned

Anybody read anything about this? Anybody got any thoughts? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...19?tag=nl.e011 ... I use TB on Win7 systems, various VM's (and OS's) at work... and love it! I sync VM's mail easily. (I develop for multi-platforms). Tis a sad day. I hope it gets continued by the OS community.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast