Thread: Where are the Flash files?

Beans

Where are the Flash files?

Two questions.

First, a small technical glitch. I have a small bug with my PC at start up that is more nuisance value than anything else. When I power up, I get a message 'Floppy diskette seek failure'. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility'. I then press F1 to get the thing to initialize normally. Can anyone tell me what to do to eliminate this?

Secondly, the main reason for my visit. 18 months ago, when we were getting ready for a vacation to Greece, I prepped my wife and kids for all the places we planned to visit by downloading a pile of people's vacation clips from Youtube, editing out personal details and whatever else was superfluous, and spliced them together to create a half hour 'documentary' of our itinerary day by day, complete with commentary and suitable music. By the time I'd finished working on it you'd have thought it was a recording of our actual trip, rather than a primer on the forthcoming visit! The kids especially loved it, as it really gave them a good grounding and education on the specifics of where we were going and gave meaning to all the piles of rubble we'd be seeing!

We now have a trip to Egypt and Israel planned and I wanted to do the same thing again as the concept went down so well last time, but I've run into a wall. Last time around I found the most expedient method to acquire the video clips was to simply copy them out of the temp folder, batch convert them when I had all that I needed, and then simply grab whatever I required from each of them and cobble the segments altogether. This time around I find that the Flash files are no longer in evidence in the Temp folder. Has Ubuntu changed its methodology in how it stores the files, or has Youtube itself changed how the files are played? I've never used them, but I know there are programs out there that are designed to grab stuff from Youtube, and I guess I can look in that direction if need by to try and complete the project. I just found my old method a lot simpler and quicker to work with. Any thoughts on what has changed?

Thanks...........Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Where are the Flash files?

Check your BIOS settings and disable floppy totally

/tmp files get deleted after time, depending how your system is configured
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Thanks for the floppy tip.

As for the temp situation, no, Flash files from Youtube disappear the second you click off the browser or change to another web page. In fact, playing another clip on Youtube will make the previous Flashfile disappear in Temp as well. So the trick is to grab it while it's there - as soon as it's played through and the entire file is there. All of this is of course in the past tense. My point is that the Flash files are not appearing at all now in Temp as they are being played. So either they're being stored temporarily elsewhere on the system, or Youtube has somehow changed the environment in which the clips are being played on one's system.

It's not like it would be the end of the world if my travel project grinds to a halt because of this issue. It's just that it provided a nice way to give the kids an education and overview of the places we'd be seeing, and why, all tailored to our itinerary. If I can't do it this way, I'll just download articles and photographs and give them hardcopy versions to read.
    Last edited by timbo59; July 8th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In Chromium there is a cache folder that is easy to find such files. In firefox it's not so easy that I can see. There are apps that can help you grab flash video, but be sure you are not breaking any laws in the process.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

At the top of every subforum here is a fairly obvious Announcement concerning Youtube, ect.
    You all may wish to review that...

Beans

Can't be that obvious because I missed it! Just kidding, I genuinely didn't see it or I wouldn't have posted on the matter.

Apologies all round - obviously my post shows that the subject was on something above board and not intended to infringe on copyright of commercial materials. Guess I'll just go the hard copy route after all. Feel free to delete this thread of course.

Thanks.
    Last edited by timbo59; July 8th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by timbo59 View Post
    Apologies all round - obviously my post shows that the subject was on something above board and not intended to infringe on copyright of commercial materials. Guess I'll just go the hard copy route after all. Feel free to delete this thread of course.
    Thread closed.