Thread: Trying to install on a powerbook G4

Hybrid View

Beans

Trying to install on a powerbook G4

I have a later model 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4 that I am trying to install 12.04 on. Its been awhile since I have used Ubuntu and it seems a lot has changed, especially in the interface. I loaded the live cd and it appears the Gui is not fully loading for me. When ever I click on the option to install 12.04 I get a large white area that takes up the majority of the screen and then nothing. It looks like there is supposed to be something in this window but its just empty whitespace. I've tried several other of the things listed on the side such as the home folder and ubuntu one and they give the same empty window. Sometimes the computer will wake up and obviously start doing something but I can't seem to get any more of a reaction. I was even able to start the terminal in an attempt to manually start the install but to no avail. Again, a large empty whitespace and typing as if it were there but just invisible didn't help either.

Beans

Re: Trying to install on a powerbook G4

How are you installing it? Are you single-booting, dual-booting, or installing as a virtual machine? I don't know if I can help with this post, but that information might help others.

Good luck

Beans

It will be a single boot, currently there is no OS on the hard drive.

Beans

can i start the installer without loading the live cd? I checked the yaboot options and there are only live ones no straight installer.

Beans

Ok so I have narrowed it down to a problem with the graphics drivers if that wasn't already obvious.

Here is how it looked at first

no matter what I clicked on this is what I got, except for the dashboard. That worked but anything I tried to start gave me this screen.

I tried the live video=ofonly at the yaboot prompt and that didn't change anything.

Then I found this thread and tried the nouveau.modeset=0 parameter. This got me a splash screen which I had not seen before and then some error messages about modset not being valid and it crashed nouveau.

What this gave me when I reached the desktop was this:

As trippy as it is I was able to start the installer.

The files copied to the hard drive without drama.

But then I got some scattered errors about components crashing that were vague. Then the entire installer crashed when it was installing the copied files. At this point I gave up for the night. I don't remember it being this hard with 8.04. what gives?

Beans

You need to install a light version, like Lubuntu, with the alternate cd. This works fine with me Powerbook G4 12".

After some tunes, wifi, sound, and display workfine... You can use the search to find all the solutions.

Good luck!

Seinch