Thread: HP Pavilion help

Beans

HP Pavilion help

What up guys I got a BIG issue tonight. So I just went out and bought a brand new HP Pavilion HPE 1210 desktop (costed me an arm and a leg...) I get home and I use the pendrive thing on Ubuntu's website to try making bootable usb stick. My brand new install of Ubuntu's 12.04 64 bit iso is on there, and I go to boot from it... I click install and it starts going. Then, it freezes, a few blinking green cursors randomly appear on the code and my system freezes. The power button dont work, nothin. I had to unplug it. Now I try installing another iso, and my systems download speed is 1000% slower (going from 3142 kb/s to 102 kb/s after the defective install and force shut down)...

Any insight is graciously accepted.
    Last edited by TheKingOfComputers; July 7th, 2012 at 04:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HP Pavilion help

Have you run Ubuntu directly from the dongle? Always a good idea before installing. Boot from the USB and 'Try Ubuntu', not 'Install Ubuntu'. Everything ok? If not, start working that out before install.

When you boot from the pendrive and get to the options screen, hit F6 and you will be presented with options. Choose 'nomodset' and continue. That may fix you install problem.

PS: When you are in the Live desktop from the USB, open Gparted (partition manager) and have a look at what is currently on the drive. You might want to wipe things, although this can all be done during install at the partitioning section if you choose 'Something Else' and partition manually rather than letting Ubuntu do it automatically (default setup totally unsuitable for me).

Good luck.

Beans

Ok I will try that. Im just extremely worried because this brand new $1100 machine with great Nvidia graphics and 8 gigs of RAM has just gotten considerably slower after the failed install and force shut down. Do you think I damaged my PC?
    Last edited by TheKingOfComputers; July 7th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

VERY Doubtful. You may just have confused the MBR or something.

Try getting to a desktop by booting the LiveUSB and having a look in Gparted. If there's any residual partitions left over from the attempted install kill them.

PS: Also, make sure you use the nomodset option if you're having trouble booting into anything after the options screen.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 7th, 2012 at 05:04 AM.

Beans

Ok thank you so much Bucky... Installed and my PC is working normally

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Brilliant news! Please mark your thread as solved from 'Thread Tools' to help others and enjoy that sweet sounding machine ...