Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: Classic menu for Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by aimwin View Post
    I found one very important info from

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=10

glennric wrote.

There seems to be a lot of confusion here as to what gnome, gnome-shell, gnome classic, and unity are. Gnome is the desktop manager that ubuntu uses by default. Gnome-shell, gnome classic, and unity are all different gnome sessions. They just use different components of gnome and alternate window managers to give different user interfaces.

Gnome-shell is the true gnome 3. It provides the windows manager (mutter) and the whole desktop gui.

Gnome classic and unity both run in the gnome 2 fallback mode of gnome 3. Gnome classic uses the gnome-panel and is most like the old gnome 2. Unity is Ubuntu's home brewed variant. With both gnome classic and unity you have a choice of using compiz (and all the snazzy eye candy effects) or metacity for the window manager.

The most light weight version of all of those is to run the gnome classic session without effects (i.e. without compiz). If you run gnome-shell, gnome classic with effects, or unity-3d then you have the added load of a compositing window manager.

That being said, low end computers will benefit from a desktop that has an even smaller resource footprint. XFCE is better for this. I don't know much about LXDE, but it is supposed to be made for low end computers. So these are probably your best bet. That is unless you want to forgo the GUI completely and go command line only.
    ================================================== =======

I myself now drop Unity in day to day use,
    and use only Gnome Classic (without effects)
    So my aging notebooks boots and reboots faster,
    and run applicaton faster too.
    I have only 1.2 GB RAM.

So Classic menu is not just only the choice of taste and old skill.
    But in fact it is necessary for many users, and will be millions too,
    (who are using old computers)

ONCE UBUNTU TAKE ON THE REAL POPULARITY.

And GNOME CLASSIC option during installation will be a MUST.

AND when that time arrive, I hope Conical will make an effort to cater the mass.

So the normal and newbies will not be in pain,
    as many of us are, including me.

And that made me wrote this simple tutorial topic after a hard time of experiments and searching.

I was thinking of me, being a newbies to ubuntu a few years back.
    How easy to start learning UBUNTU.
    And start promoting UBUNTU.

Now I have a hard time learning how to use UNITY, and GNOME 3.
    And I am now consider intemediate UBUNTU desktop user.

But for many of those who are used to Windows,
    and we are working to convert them to use UBUNTU or LINUX.

Gnome Classic will be the easiest way to help and convince them to move along.

And I hope that UBUNTU will still be the leader not MINTs nor others.
    Part of what you're saying is not 100% correct. Is this helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=108

Neither Gnome nor Ubuntu are at all likely to change paths when it comes to development but there are other small projects that may keep a classic Gnome interface alive, like SolusOS and Mate

Once the code exists someone will hack it, create a PPA, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Classic menu for Ubuntu 12.04

yes...you might want to check out Solus Os....the Os1 version is gnome 2 (already finalized and stable) and the newer Os2 version (which is in alpha and just about to go into it's first beta and already pretty darn stable) is their version of gnome 3...but the main developer of the project (Ikey) is bringing in total gnome 2 like functionality into it...

so it would be a way you could have gnome 3 (the latest gnome) with the latest applications but with the functionality and customizing ability you are use to from gnome 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12