Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With WINE can you run windows programs or windows games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: With WINE can you run windows programs or windows games

I installed Wine, just so I could try and play my favourite game , Eve Online. I must admit I almost gave up, with it. There were unmet dependencies when trying to install Wine, missing Win stuff like core fonts etc. Searching the internet for some of the missing files etc took hours.
    Once it got to the stage of actually loading the game, the graphics were very jittery and the lag made the game almost unplayable.
    Just a pity CCP chose to drop support for Linux players of that great game.
    The way I solved the problem was to have another computer running Win7. (works great on that), but only when the G/F isn't using it.
    I've not yet considered dual boot on this computer because I don't particularly fancy paying Microsoft the extortionate amount they want for their not so secure OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I don't think there's a blanket recommendation or non-recommendation. It really depends on the situation.

If you can find a native Linux program that does what you want it to do, it's always better to use a native program than a workaround like Wine.

But if you have a Windows-only program you need, and it happens to work well in Wine, it's better to use Wine than to have to dual-boot or virtualize Windows.

You can check how well individual programs work in Wine by looking at the WineHQ AppDB:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

Different programs (and different versions of programs) will have various metal ratings. Platinum basically means it works flawlessly. Gold means it works well. Silver means it basically works but has some problems. I think Bronze means it basically doesn't work in any useful way (maybe it launches, but that's it). And then I think Garbage just means it won't even install or run.
    So you can go to that web site and type the name of the game you want to play in wine and it will tell you if the game is Platinum , Gold , Silver , Bronze or Garbage .

Beans
    Hidden!

I would also recommend trying out CrossOver... It takes a lot of the guess work and hit and miss out of Wine (and it has a nice way to search to see if an application works or not).

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123