Thread: HowTo: Yahoo Music Unlimited and Music Subscription Services on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HowTo: Yahoo Music Unlimited and Music Subscription Services on Ubuntu

I have been a full-time user of Ubuntu for about a year now, and I will never go back to using Windows as my primary operating system. About the only thing that I have not been able to find comparable to the Windows environment is the ability to use music subscription services like Yahoo! Music Unlimited (or the modern version of the former P2P known as Napster).

I followed the "HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server" tutorial that Peturrr posted.

Once you have VMware Server installed, and you have resolved any potential sound issues between your Windows virtual server and Ubuntu, you can download the Yahoo! Music Engine (I assume any other subscription services would work as well). You need to install it on your Windows server.

Just sign in and you are good to go. Leave the VMware Server running on one of your virtual desktops and enjoy the ability to use music subscription services while running Linux.

Disclaimer: I am a Yahoo! employee, but I do not work for Yahoo! Music.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Yahoo Music Unlimited and Music Subscription Services on Ubuntu

one word: emusic.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

emusic is cool too. Life is great when you have options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by 43moon View Post
    I have been a full-time user of Ubuntu for about a year now, and I will never go back to using Windows as my primary operating system. About the only thing that I have not been able to find comparable to the Windows environment is the ability to use music subscription services like Yahoo! Music Unlimited (or the modern version of the former P2P known as Napster).

I followed the "HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server" tutorial that Peturrr posted.

Once you have VMware Server installed, and you have resolved any potential sound issues between your Windows virtual server and Ubuntu, you can download the Yahoo! Music Engine (I assume any other subscription services would work as well). You need to install it on your Windows server.

Just sign in and you are good to go. Leave the VMware Server running on one of your virtual desktops and enjoy the ability to use music subscription services while running Linux.

Disclaimer: I am a Yahoo! employee, but I do not work for Yahoo! Music.

I followed all of the directions, have VMWare running smoothly, downloaded and installed YME into the WinXP partition from within the console, signed in... and no luck. It works enough to find music, but when I try listening to any it gives me a network error every time. I'm posting this from the same comp, inside the virtual console, so it apparently isn't a general net connection issue, but rather something specific to Yahoo Music. I have no clue whether it's a matter of settings, and if so which ones... Help?