Thread: Unity Launcher shows 2 Chromium icons when launched from Thunderbird

Beans

Unity Launcher shows 2 Chromium icons when launched from Thunderbird

Confusing subject perhaps, but hard to describe in one line

I have Chromium browser installed, and it is my default browser. I have it locked to the Launcher in Unity. What I am seeing is, that if I am running Thunderbird email, and Chromium isn't running, then I click on a link in an email in Thunderbird, it opens Chromium browser, as expected - but, instead of it showing in Launcher as an indicator alongside the existing Chromium icon, a second icon appears lower down. Just saying it would be better, and neater, if it realised the Launcher already contained the app, and just indicated it was running by adding an indicator, instead of filling the Launcher up with extra icons.

It is also annoying, if you are used to clicking on an app icon to switch to it, especially when it is on a different workspace, because you invariably click on the one not yet running, and it launches a new instance of it instead of switching.

Beans

Re: Unity Launcher shows 2 Chromium icons when launched from Thunderbird

I had this issue after an update, clicking on the first icon would just open a new window.
    Right click the second icon and lock to launcher, then remove the first one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    Confusing subject perhaps, but hard to describe in one line

I have Chromium browser installed, and it is my default browser. I have it locked to the Launcher in Unity. What I am seeing is, that if I am running Thunderbird email, and Chromium isn't running, then I click on a link in an email in Thunderbird, it opens Chromium browser, as expected - but, instead of it showing in Launcher as an indicator alongside the existing Chromium icon, a second icon appears lower down. Just saying it would be better, and neater, if it realised the Launcher already contained the app, and just indicated it was running by adding an indicator, instead of filling the Launcher up with extra icons.

It is also annoying, if you are used to clicking on an app icon to switch to it, especially when it is on a different workspace, because you invariably click on the one not yet running, and it launches a new instance of it instead of switching.
    Perhaps T'Bird launches the browser with another command line and that's why two separate icons show?

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe there is a relation to this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2005606

Quote Originally Posted by Marric View Post
    I had a similar problem of showing two instances of Thunderbird in the dash and found out that it was related to the Thunderbird "Minimize to Tray" or "Fire Tray" add-ons.
    I disabled the add-on and closed Thunderbird. Then restarted it, closed one of the two windows, reactivated the add-on and restarted Thunderbird.
    Last edited by Marric; August 14th, 2012 at 01:20 AM.