Thread: make a dumb dhcp server

Beans

make a dumb dhcp server

I use iptables NAT for my systems I have behind my ubuntu server. I set up a v-nic at 192.168.0.19 that I use as a gate way of sorts. I then set a 192.168.0/24 if to all my systems I use. The problem I have is when people come over with there smart phones and want to get on my network. I then have to give them an ip to use and they need to put in a dns/gateway. What I want is a way for then to pull an ip automatically. I'm thinking I dont need to set up a full blown DHSP and I'm not sure if that will cause issues with iptables.

I guess at most I need to give out an ip, gateway, and dns. Any suggestions, I tried installing a dhcp but there were major dependency issues. Looking for a minimal simple solution here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: make a dumb dhcp server

Hello

What are the major dependencies?

There are two options if you don't want to install a DHCP server.

Install a device to hand out IP address on your network, like a cheap router.
    Or get people to configure static information on their devices.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans

Yeah I tried the dhcp option on my router but it wants to be the gate way. I can not get it to just hand out ip's without it handing out a gateway.

I guess Ill try to install a DHCP again and list the errors I get. I was hopping for an easy DHCP server out there, I think I just did a apt-get install dhcp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You would want to do this:
    Code:
    apt-get install isc-dhcp-server
    You should not have troubles with your iptables rule set, but you will need to allow UDP INPUT from the internal interface from port 68 destined for port 67. The ubuntu server guide is a good reference.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.