Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I format a WD Passport HD (more)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I format a WD Passport HD (more)

Glad it worked !
    Now its the time to mark thread as solved
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans

Question Re: How do I format a WD Passport HD (more)

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Why you marked thread as solved ? Untick it.. solved threads have not much traffic.

Boot from a LiveCD and follow these instructions http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482 i hope this will solve your boot problem.
    Okay, it seems to boot "okay" most of the time, though some times I have to resort to banging on the space bar to get it started. I have a WD 2.5 TB External that I use to back up everything (I record music so I need the space). If I dock that for use while I'm using Ubuntu, should I un-dock it and unplug it when I shutdown? Or is it okay to unplug it while my system is off, and then reboot without the external plugged in? Someone mentioned something in another thread about MBR problems, and I was wondering if that could have something to do with my booting issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is a special case of Ubuntu installation. Its on External HDD and its not the same as Internal. When your system boots the external drive do not load as quick as internal , so you must wait few second for the drive to be ready and then you can boot in it.

I am not sure but , i don't think that you will have problems if you leave the disk docked . If you unplugged and boot your system i don't know if you will be able to start any OS.. check it out and if you are , then you can do anything please you . I don't know and i never heard about MBR problems in this case.
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    This is a special case of Ubuntu installation. Its on External HDD and its not the same as Internal. When your system boots the external drive do not load as quick as internal , so you must wait few second for the drive to be ready and then you can boot in it.

I am not sure but , i don't think that you will have problems if you leave the disk docked . If you unplugged and boot your system i don't know if you will be able to start any OS.. check it out and if you are , then you can do anything please you . I don't know and i never heard about MBR problems in this case.
    Okay, gotcha on the External drive installation stuff, makes sense. I let it update to 12.04, and it rebooted just fine 3 times (haven't done a shutdown yet, have some things to make sure I get done online before I take THAT leap). Here's the rub though, when I plugged in the 2.5 TB external drive, everything stopped. The keyboard stopped working, all of the "interface" disappeared on me, only the mouse still worked. I let it sit there for 20 minutes, just to make sure that it wasn't just a large drive read interrupting or something like that. Nope, just stopped. I rebooted and got yet another booting error, but I couldn't catch it in time after I pressed the space bar (a trick that seems to work most of the time btw with all the issues I've had) because it booted right up, the large external hard drive is docked and available. I'm at a loss as to what the deal was, and every indication says 'will be'. Again, I'm wondering if Ubuntu lays some kind of information on other drives, external USB or otherwise, that would cause it to lock up or get all weird. I know it's not Windows, yet I know that Windows does that crap and it messes with you if you unplug any drives, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are still having issues I would try a drastic wipe, re partition and re-install.

Deriks boot and nuke for the win.

search google for DBAN, (i'd give you a link but i'm in Afghan right now so most download and software sites are blocked)

-burn the ISO file to a blank cd

-reboot your computer and boot from the cd (with the usb drive attached)

-once DBAN begins READ THE INFORMATION CAREFULLY!!! configure it to errase your WD passport drive and ONLY that drive, with the level data errasure you would like. (the default DOD wipe is usually sufficent)

-go our or dinner and a movie (this takes a WHILE) lol

-once complete, remove the cd, insert the live usb or disk you use to install ubuntu and boot from it

-once in the ubuntu live os, open the dash (pop up menu on the left, or just hit the windows key on the keyboard) and search for a program called gparted (type usb or dive and it will come up)

-Use gparted to format your WD disk to ext3 (to be safe)

-After that you can finally install the os to the now readable WD drive, it should take care of the rest (swap partitions data partations and master boot record/flag) if not let me know and I can walk you thru it.

happy linuxing!
    -sean

Beans

Arrow Re: How do I format a WD Passport HD (more)

Quote Originally Posted by Kain000 View Post
    If you are still having issues I would try a drastic wipe, re partition and re-install.

search google for DBAN, (i'd give you a link but i'm in Afghan right now so most download and software sites are blocked)

-once DBAN begins READ THE INFORMATION CAREFULLY!!! configure it to errase your WD passport drive and ONLY that drive, with the level data errasure you would like. (the default DOD wipe is usually sufficent)

-once complete, remove the cd, insert the live usb or disk you use to install ubuntu and boot from it

-once in the ubuntu live os, open the dash (pop up menu on the left, or just hit the windows key on the keyboard) and search for a program called gparted (type usb or dive and it will come up)

-After that you can finally install the os to the now readable WD drive, it should take care of the rest (swap partitions data partations and master boot record/flag) if not let me know and I can walk you thru it.

happy linuxing!
    -sean
    Ruling. \m/ I'll give that a shot once I back-up everything. I have a strange theory by the way about this. I'm almost certain that there is something wrong with my MB, that it is failing and/or fails and then reconnects (weird I know) so I'm saving the $$$ for a new one. HERE'S the kicker: It appears that the only time I have problems with booting up from the Passport drive (doesn't matter if I have any other External drives plugged in) is after the Clock has changed to the next DAY. It's like once it goes past midnight on my PCs internal clock, everything goes FUBAR. Anyway, thanks a ton for all your help and advice. I'm going to wipe the thing DOD style and format as you said and then see where we get. Take care! BW

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kain000 View Post

happy linuxing!
    -sean
    UPDATE AND NEW PROBLEM:
    Followed your instructions to the letter. Now everything boots up just fine, but almost every time I boot up, the mouse freezes. I'm looking into mouse freezing around here but wanted to post this update and see if there were any 'new' issues with mouse freezing with Ubuntu 12.04

I'm using a Logitech track-ball mouse, and even Windows always managed to make it work, so...........?????

Thanks!

Beans

Going to mark this one as SOLVED, since apparently the problems I'm having now with my Logitech mouse don't fall under this thread. No big deal. THANK YOU to ALL who helped me get this far.
    You ALL !!!!! \m/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12