Thread: free up space

Beans

free up space

I've been having a lot of trouble getting an update to hardy heron. I get started on updating to 10.04 and partway through it says i don't have enough free space, free up some space and retry. THis is on an old compaq presario with a dual boot of windows ME. I don't care about the Windows. I've been trying to figure out how to increase the size of the Ubuntu partition, but haven't had any success. Now I'd like to see if there is a way to just free up some space and leave the partition as is. I've gone through and removed andy applications that I can, and emptied the trash. I'm installing bleachbit to see if it can find some other things to get rid of. Any suggestions as to other steps I might take to free up some space?
    Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: free up space

Some of this discussion may be of interest.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2032215

Beans

I ran bleachbit, and it did free up some space, but not nearly enough. I'm starting to think that my best bet is to bite the bullet and just start over with a fresh install, or maybe just retire this computer and get something a little faster. I bought an XP machine to replace this one years ago, and just put Ubuntu on it out of curiosity. It works okay, but the machine is 12 years old and pretty slow. I'm not ready to give up the XP because I can't run Quickbooks on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Beans

If you don't need windows then remove it If you really want to free up space then re-install ubuntu from scratch.. But don't forget to backup /home/ directory . Maybe your harddrive is full due to unused softwares/packages . After the re-install only download packages that you require the most.

Thankxx
    Yuvraj

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i doubt the latest ubuntu will run on your maschine (can it boot into live session?) but you can give it a try. still i would recomend something lighter such as Lubuntu.

simply backup files from your /home to another mashcine and then reformat the disk and install.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i doubt the latest ubuntu will run on your maschine (can it boot into live session?) but you can give it a try. still i would recomend something lighter such as Lubuntu.

simply backup files from your /home to another mashcine and then reformat the disk and install.
    Hi,
    +1 .

Try a the new version of Lubuntu 12.04 32bit , you can find it here --> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...12.04/release/

Thanks
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans

Smile Re: free up space

I got frustrated enough with the old computer that I went out and bought a replacement today. It's got Ubuntu 10.4, pentium 4 2.80 Ghz, 80 gig hard drive, and 1 gig ram, so I guess that's one way to solve the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions, but it just got to where it seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Beans

Good work....