Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Tools

Beans

Re: Computer Tools

If you live by the coast or in a humid place I would not worry about a anti-static wrist strap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    If you live by the coast or in a humid place I would not worry about a anti-static wrist strap.
    You should use one no matter where you are. A lot of things will build up a static charge, even standing up or sitting down. Pulling tape off a roll is horrendous.

They're so cheap, and they protect your expensive hardware. Why not use one?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    You should use one no matter where you are. A lot of things will build up a static charge, even standing up or sitting down. Pulling tape off a roll is horrendous.
    Never had issues with static in all my life at the coast (humid) and I've worked on pieces of kit that costs the same as houses.

Beans

i have a kit i got with a course, it has 2 philips screw drivers lg and very small. a flat tip and a nut driver for standoffs and such. I also use a battery powered or rechargable screw driver for some things. a small pair of hemostats comes in handy for people with big fingers, and brushes of different sizes.

I also keep a jar of thermal grease handy in case i decide to remove the heat sink.
    I also keep extra screws handy incase i drop one or incase i run into those damnable security screws.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a small (8 gal. 37l) compressor, that I set the air pressure down to 50 - 60 PSI for blowing out systems in my shop. I've pretty well stopped repairing computer systems for customers, but it still comes in handy for my own systems. About the only hand tools I use are a phillips screw driver, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a hemostat.

I've found that Xcelite screw drivers, seem to last for ever, I have several that I've owned for more years than I want to remember, that show absolutely no sign of wear after constant usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Never had issues with static in all my life at the coast (humid) and I've worked on pieces of kit that costs the same as houses.
    Ah, well that's all right then. Clearly the entire electronics industry is barking up the wrong tree. They'll be chuffed, they won't have to spend vast wads of cash every year to deal with it. All those proper scientists with their peer-review papers dealing with the subject are quite likely to be cross with you though, so keep your head down

Seriously though, the damage from ESD isn't always immediate. Latent damage does lead to failures in later life. The initial damage is microscopic and the gear appears fine, but will fail sooner than it otherwise would have.

Good ESD handling practice is one of those things that show someone who's been well-trained in my experience. Unfortunately a lot of people that work in IT don't actually have a strong technical background and perpetuate some really bad practice. Don't sink to their level, do it properly.
    Last edited by Paqman; July 5th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Beans

I as well have never had issues with static, and I've done emergency repairs on carpet. But a screwdriver and Headband (to prevent sweat from falling, just trust me) are all I've ever needed to open/build a PC. A case of cable ties are also recommended.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was wondering, is it alright for other wires to be touching other things within the case, like a fan wire touching the RAM or some graphics card? Should I make an effort to have the wires suspended or just let them drop, touching somewhere on the motherboard?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Should I make an effort to have the wires suspended or just let them drop, touching somewhere on the motherboard?
    It's better if you can "suspend" them out of the way; allows for better airflow in the chassis.

It's not a problem if the wires are touching other components, PROVIDED:

a) The wires are well insulated (ie, there is no peeling, cracking or discolouration of the insulation)

b) The wires are not resting on anything that can get hot, such as a heatsink

c) The wires are not getting in way of the cooling fan

I always use twist ties and nylon lock "thingies" to move the wires out of the way, and along the edges. It's a lot easier now that SATA has come; IDE cables were very difficult to position.

However, when I'm in a rush, I don't bother, except as mentioned above.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12