Thread: I want a puppy!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want a puppy!!!

Is there a such thing as a Puppy Linux that runs Gnome? This will be for a really old Dell Inspiron-1000 laptop that I'm going to use as a radio for my favorite on-line shout cast station. If it runs a Gnome desktop environment, that would be super because I don't know too much about others like the kde or xfce ones.

If I can't find a "gnome" puppy, I guess one of the other puppies will have to do and I'll just have to learn something new (yeah, I know that was a VERY lazy statement lmao). I guess if someone know of something else that I might like instead, please let me know. By the way, this laptop only has 512-Mb of RAM.

-Leo in Massachusetts (us)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I want a puppy!!!

Gnome would defeat the purpose of Puppy. It is to heavy to work on many older machines.

With that amount of RAM though, you could run Lubuntu pretty well. LXDE is straight forward enough...should have no problem leaning it, especially if all you want to do is listen to radio.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mepis has always been a good bet.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Syste...PIS-2003.shtml
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had no idea that gnome was the bloat in the os. What I was looking for the most was the ease of use with downloading and installing things with the software center that I have in Lucid Lynx (I love that thing, it's so dummy proof) lol. I'll just have to learn some type of sudo apt get command to get Rhythmbox Music Player to manage all my radio stations, as well as my phone's mp3 player.

I'm marking this thread as SOLVED. Thanks a million everyone. This makes 100 beans (or posts) for me lol. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by S2UIRR3L View Post
    I'll just have to learn some type of sudo apt get command to get Rhythmbox Music Player to manage all my radio stations, as well as my phone's mp3 player.
    Lubuntu comes with a software center now (I believe) and has a full package manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe look for Knoppix. It's lightweight (uses around 60Mb of Ram), very similar to Lubuntu. The commands are the same as in ...BUNTU.I think it will cover all your needs. I have Dell Inspiron 1100, and Knoppix is perfect choice. I have had many problems with graphic card, but Knoppix recognize Hardware very well.

I hope this will help you.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just for your information. I am running Lubuntu 12.04 on my "really old" Dell Inspiron 1000 without problems. It is a definite option for you.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    Just for your information. I am running Lubuntu 12.04 on my "really old" Dell Inspiron 1000 without problems. It is a definite option for you.
    Well if it's so then choose Lubuntu.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As of right now... The only OS (believe it or not) that this little machine (Dell Inspiron 1000) to install... Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. It's capable of doing everything visually (compiz) like my big computer... but like I said, this is just a crapper that I want to use as a radio for shout cast.

The Tom Leykis Show (http://www.BlowMeUpTom.com)
    Warning - Tom Leykis is NOT appropriate for minors.

Everything works flawless... except the wireless USB thing that I'm trying to fix right now. It's a Tenda W311U. First, it wasn't recognized at all (like if it weren't even plugged in). I done some searching and found a post here, done what it said and now I shows my N-Router, but won't connect.

I'm not sure what the protection on my Netgear Wireless N router is... It's either WPA or WPA2 (something like that). It asks me to enter my password. I enter it, hit the connect button, it tries to do it's thing and fails, resulting in it asking for my password again... So I'm REALLY close to it!

THIS IS THE POST I'M TALKING ABOUT:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1444925&page=3
    (I'm talking about post #24, it's on page 3, he's using Lucid too)

If anyone has any experience with this... I'd love to hear from you!
    Thanks a million for all the help everyone... Like I said, I love this site!!!

Last edited by S2UIRR3L; July 5th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.