Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Ubuntu would be best for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which Ubuntu would be best for me?

I've had 11.10 and 11.04, but I can't get compiz to work correctly (keeps crashing, and I haven't been able to get it to work). I hate the unity interface. I want gnome.

So basically I want gnome and compiz. Other than that it doesn't really matter. Which release would you prefer?

I can get one and switch settings if you think that would be best. as long as there is an easy tutorial on how to do it lol. I just need recommendations on the base system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Which Ubuntu would be best for me?

Hi Nixarter.

10.04 is still around and supported until April 2013.

If you want a newer version, and don't mind a little extra work. I would recommend installing 12.04 and changing the interface to classic gnome.

Take a look at this articles to see how it looks:

However, I would recommend taking this steps for a complete make over: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic.

I hope it helps, and tell us how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    So basically I want gnome and compiz. Other than that it doesn't really matter. Which release would you prefer?

Additioanlly you can try MATE

or use XFCE (since it has GTK+ libs and looks like old gnome)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

XFCE 4.8 or 4.10 + xcompmgr work flawlessly for me. Want to see a screenshot?

xcompmgr is basically same with compiz, but xcompmgr is "lighter" and do not change your Window Manager.
    Last edited by afixane; July 5th, 2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: i forgot to explain xcompmgr

Beans
    Distro

I've read up on some of that, and I think going back to gnome fallback or manually editing it won't give me compiz.

XFCE... Is that X window environment? I just want compiz and the same look and feel of my old 8.10 install

I think I'm going to try the last method papibe suggested. If I complete it and then I can't get compiz to work correctly, then I'll try something else.

And yes, I would very much like a screenshot
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    XFCE... Is that X window environment? I just want compiz and the same look and feel of my old 8.10 install
    they are all x window systems... at least until wayland comes out of beta.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

xfce uses same libraries as gnome but is put together with lighter applicaitons and in a way that consumes less resources. it is also a good alternative for those that seek look&feel of old gnome as it had numerous customizable abilities. this is how xubuntu looks like: http://xubuntu.org/screenshots/

to customize it you mostly right click on the thing you want to customize and then select settings/propperties. really easy to do it and fast.

as mentioned in the post above you can also get special effects found on compiz in XFCE.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I like Xfce a lot, but the default theme and wallpapers just made me want to kill myself. So the first thing I did was brighten it up a little. It's a nice environment to get work done in. I don't know about Compiz, but the default configuration really has no special effects. Still for those of us who like to have a real menu, it is a good environment.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I have it up and running in gnome-fallback with compiz for now. It seems to be doing OK actually. There are still a few things that I haven't figured out yet, but they are minor. I'll try it out for a bit, and maybe do another install with XFCE and see which I prefer.

Thanks for the help!
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans
    Distro

I've used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for quite a while.
    I installed 12.04LTS to dualboot. According to this: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/instal...d64/index.html.
    Haven't had ne problems; however, I'm still an Ubuntu newbie, so I was checking out derivatives, came across this thread and wondered if Xubuntu would be a better choice for my computer.
    Any suggestion?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Well, I did start running into problems...So, I tried Xubuntu, but didn't really like it; and, since this is a solved issue, I guess noone's following it to reply to my question anyway.
    Think Ima look into Lubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast