View Poll Results: Should the decision to force HOW TO's off the forum to the wiki be reversed?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like the decision reversed and go back to permitting HOW TO's and tutorials on the forum.

2 22.22%
  • I support the forced move of all HOW TO's and tutorials to the wiki.

7 77.78%
  • Other (please post an explanation).

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the decision to force HOW TO's etc off the forum to the wiki be reversed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Should the decision to force HOW TO's etc off the forum to the wiki be reversed

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    The problem is I am unable to discover the option to allow me to create an agenda item.
    Login to the Wiki (Launchpad account?) to gain the ability to edit the agenda.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Should the decision to force HOW TO's etc off the forum to the wiki be reversed

Hi Tamlynmac,

I'm afraid you might be more realistic than I am right now. I hope not.

I was gettng ready to do a round of updating on my HOW TO's when I discovered the problem Tuesday. But my quick searches didn't discover anything so I thought it was a server problem.

This morning when I looked more carefully mtron's thread was one of the first I found. But thanks for the link anyway. I don't want to pick up my marbles and go away.

I did PM bodhi.zazen right away. I must compliment him on the rapidity of his response. However I wasn't so thrilled with the response itself.

I mean come on guys, I can't be the only one who has noticed that the numbers of Currently Active Users has been going down for over a year? What used to be 2 or 3 questions a day is turning into a question every 2 or 3 days. I'm thinking this isn't going to help.

Thank you Iowan!

Head slap. Of course I need to log in to Launchpad. It appears I am somewhat flustered.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

OK, folks. It is what it is.

Move forward.

I simply moved my stuff to the wikis. It's not that hard.

Then I asked for a staff member to edit my posts and put some text in bold directing users to the wiki with a link. Google hits will still find the threads and people will be directed to the wikis.

P*ssing and moaning at this point is a waste of your valuable energy.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Hi QIII,

So you are an Other vote?

It is not a question on how hard or easy the move is. The question is why is it necessary at all? Why is it necessary to limit the available options to assist folks?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Whether or not the change was good, bad, necessary or unnecessary is moot. It has been done.

You can still continue to help. A google search will still hit your How To and you can ask the staff to add a redirect to the wiki. Edit the wiki as you would have edited your How To to keep it up to date.

Sun Tzu said to never fight a battle you can't win. A modern paraphrase is "Choose your battles wisely."

Spend your energy moving forward. Venting your bile here is unproductive. Deal with this as it is.
    Last edited by QIII; July 5th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Favux
    This morning when I looked more carefully mtron's thread was one of the first I found. But thanks for the link anyway. I don't want to pick up my marbles and go away.
    Hopefully, my post didn't insinuate that you should take your marbles and leave. That was not my intent.

I viewed mtron's idea of linking their forum project to a blog/site for maintenance purposes, as creative and a logical alternative for those who don't wish to use Wiki.

I still have serious doubts that the staff will alter their decision. But wish you the best of luck with which ever course of action you pursue.

Mac
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro

@ QIII I'm venting bile?

Hi Mac,

I didn't mean to leave the impression you were suggesting that. That was just my initial reading/impression of mtron's post this morning.

And thank you, it appears I will need luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you need help migrating your tutorials to the wiki there are plenty of people willing to help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ForumWikiTeam

This was agreed upon in March, this is not a new recent change. Plenty of time was given for people to raise concerns and objections to moving the information to the wiki.

The Forum Council had been in discussions with the outside community about the information contained within the tutorials section long before then. Again anyone was welcome to participate and contribute opinions.

One of the major hurdles at the time was finding a means to migrate the post data, a solution was found with a simple script created. It was also agreed that for every tutorial moved to the wiki a discussion thread would exist on the forums. Here is the discussion thread in the Tutorials section.

I fear we are going around in circles, if you wish to discuss this further then please add it to the Forum Council meeting agenda. If you decide to add it then please do attend.

Closed.
    Last edited by s.fox; July 5th, 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Elfy wanted me to add another link ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12