Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google is killing iGoogle

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Google is killing iGoogle

Google is shutting down a few of their services. I can understand shutting down Google Video, since they acquired YouTube. But what were they thinking when they decided to shut down iGoogle. I know a lot of people who use iGoogle as their home page.

I'm checking out Netvibes as a replacement.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Re: Google is killing iGoogle

I can understand their reasoning and I never used iGoogle heavily. It's one of those services that not a lot of people use, but those that use it use it heavily. I just hope they don't remove Reader in the same fashion.

I will need to find a better way to track schedules and scores once college football season comes along though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I really didn't know personalized home pages were still popular. I used a home page on my first computer for a couple of years but not since. Opera Unite is history also and it was referred to as a "legacy platform"
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I really didn't know personalized home pages were still popular. I used a home page on my first computer for a couple of years but not since. Opera Unite is history also and it was referred to as a "legacy platform"
    If you don't have any home page at all, what comes up when you open your web browser?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Google....
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans

Chromium and Firefox have the feature to give you a list of most commonly used web-pages and that's the first thing you see when you start your browser.

Technically a personal web-page would be for others to see, but then most people are probably using Facebook. If you want your own page for yourself, then you can just make it a file on your machine and unless you want to use PHP you don't even have to install a web-server (JavaScript and HTML5 don't need a web-sever, only PHP does).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Chromium and Firefox have the feature to give you a list of most commonly used web-pages and that's the first thing you see when you start your browser.
    Which is usually one of the first things I change in my browser in a new install. I have my bookmark toolbar for that. I think it's more useful to start out with a page that gives me a lot of useful information at a glance, like the weather and different kinds of news.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Technically a personal web-page would be for others to see, but then most people are probably using Facebook. If you want your own page for yourself, then you can just make it a file on your machine and unless you want to use PHP you don't even have to install a web-server (JavaScript and HTML5 don't need a web-sever, only PHP does).
    There's a difference between a personal web page and a personalized web page. A personalized web page is something that I set up to suit my own needs.

I definitely don't think they're useless. That's why I'm trying out Netvibes right now, which is a decent replacement for iGoogle.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    There's a difference between a personal web page and a personalized web page. A personalized web page is something that I set up to suit my own needs.

I definitely don't think they're useless. That's why I'm trying out Netvibes right now, which is a decent replacement for iGoogle.
    I see what you mean, a personalized web-page is useful, but my guess is that not too many people care about it.

Beans

My wife and i both use igoogle. i have several news pages, moon phases, weather and two pages of tech stuff. Hers has different colors and things of interest to her.

it is one of the first things i set on a new install.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    My wife and i both use igoogle.
    Same here. I have a few bits and pieces on mine: my recent Google Docs, my Remember the Milk list and some links. She has an absolute bucketload of stuff on hers.

I will miss it, but it's not going for another year, so there's plenty of time to adapt my habits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast