Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google is killing iGoogle

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Google is killing iGoogle

Quote Originally Posted by ronnysingh View Post
    iGoogle users will get more than enough time to transfer their data.
    It's just a bunch of web apps showing news feeds that are compiled together on one page. Where can you transfer web apps?

Thankfully, they're not so crazy as to shut Gmail down, too.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

I messed with the iGoogle mess for about one afternoon. I decided I have enough gadgets on my desktop so I didnt need it.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I use Igoogle and have become very dependent upon it. It is machine independent and serves a personal bulletin board with new Gmail, weather for several spots important to me, Wikipedia, translate, traffic, etc.

Its an apps holder.

Google suggests chrome extensions as a substitute, but it does not seem to put the extensions (which are similar to those in Igoogle)on the start page.

I have started using Lightread and it does part of the job by getting all the newspapers I read on the same page.

Keep looking Ubuntu people! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Never really used iGoogle. Never have liked the idea of widgets. Web Apps are the way forward anyway since they serve a similar, if not better purpose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by kdrainey View Post
    Google suggests chrome extensions as a substitute, but it does not seem to put the extensions (which are similar to those in Igoogle)on the start page.
    You can set it to display the new tab page when it first fires up, and there are extensions which stick widgets all over the new tab page, so by the time Igoogle shuts down totally there should be a workable replacement.

Bit of a hassle though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123