Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No such partition

Beans

Unhappy No such partition

A few times I was prompted to download 12.04. I ignored it and decided to wait for a CD. Eventually I downloaded it to my regret.
    I went through the whole process in a number of hours. Then got to the point of restarting to only get the message that there is no such partition and no further. I have 2 hard drives and get no further.
    It gives me the screen where it provides the option to log onto different OS. Enterering on any one of those gives me
    error: no such partition
    press any key to continue and when I do this it takes me back to the log on screen.
    Please help,how do I solve this?
    Thanks
    Faan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: No such partition

Hallo.
    Do you have a live CD or USB installer that you can boot to (and access the internet from) ?

The first thing I would do is boot into the live environment and try and have a look at the two drives and see what is on there.

The next thing would be to obtain and run the boot info script available here

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

This is a great tool that prints out a lot of output on the state of your drives and your bootloader (grub). It is very likely that somewhere in this output there could be a clue to what has gone wrong.

I would suggest posting the output here (use the code tags, the # button at the top of the post window) in the hope that someone will answer who can read it. Look at it yourself carefully. A lot of it is actually fairly easy to understand if you don't let your self be fazed by it. I don't know if I will be able to get back here for the next few days, so I hope that some one else can help.

edit: just rediscovered this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482

which might be an easier way to do the same thing, and might offer some other help.
    Last edited by audiomick; June 17th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Michael

Beans

The only CD I have is of a previous version and I presume that if I use that the old version would be installed(?)
    I am not sure how to access the PC. What I am doing now I am doing from my laptop with access to the internet.
    Whatever I download now will come onto the laptop and not the "problem PC". I cannot post here as I have to physically type in everything on here and not copy it onto the forum.

When I boot I get the following:
    GNU GRUB version 1.99-21ubuntu 3.1 and the first choice then:
    UBUNTU, with Linux 3,2.0-25 generic
    and recovery mode and a few more alternatives, but when I enter I receive the "no such partition" message.
    When I press F2 the result is:
    "grub" and the rest of the screen remains blank. Perhaps I can enter something after this, but do not know what.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, boot your system using the LiveCD and select 'Try' mode. Open a web-browser and go to here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Follow the instructions to install and run the program. Everything should be fixed to allow you to boot normally. If not then run the option for the BootInfoScript.

Post back here with the news.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Faan View Post
    The only CD I have is of a previous version and I presume that if I use that the old version would be installed(?)
    Just to make it clear: If you actually install from the older version CD, of course the older version will be install. What you need to boot into the live environment is the "try without installing" option when you boot from the CD. This is quite safe. It will not do anything to the existing install.
    Michael

Beans

I did what you guys suggested and booted up from the CD and did the "try thing" and downloaded the program. The next problem was to get the UBUNTU CD out of the PC to burn the new program onto a CD. I just could not do it, so I am still stuck and could not run the repair program. I could therefore not install and run the repair program.
    I cannot understand that this process is so difficult. Is it only me or are others having similar problems?

Beans

Just over a year ago I experienced the exact same problem to the extent that I had to re-install everything and loosing all my work which I did not do a back up in time.

When asking a question on the forum my impression is that the answers come from people who work on the inside of the programs regularly. I use the OS of the PC to get my daily work done which I need for running my business.
    There is no one close I could phone and explain my situation to.

My impression all along was that UBUNTU was something Mark Shuttleworth had initiated and that his foundation was sort of looking after it. If UBUNTU is intended to provide the less fortunate with a free OS I just cannot see how they can get a problem solved if they have to use the internet to find a solution to the problem they might have.

The business where I buy most of my PC related equipment from does not even want to listen to a problem experienced with UBUNTU / Linux. His attitude is that if you want to use a free OS you have to suffer the consequences that go with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can run Boot Repair by loading into RAM using the LiveCD. It should make the necessary changes to your Hard drive automatically.

Beans
    Hidden!

I did what you guys suggested and booted up from the CD and did the "try thing" and downloaded the program. The next problem was to get the UBUNTU CD out of the PC to burn the new program onto a CD. I just could not do it, so I am still stuck and could not run the repair program. I could therefore not install and run the repair program.
    I cannot understand that this process is so difficult. Is it only me or are others having similar problems?
    It should be possible to eject the CD pushing the button, at least just after a reboot. Or is there something wrong with the CD drive?

Beans

My impression all along was that UBUNTU was something Mark Shuttleworth had initiated and that his foundation was sort of looking after it.
    Basically correct --but Mark actually FUNDS Ubuntu.

If UBUNTU is intended to provide the less fortunate with a free OS I just cannot see how they can get a problem solved if they have to use the internet to find a solution to the problem they might have.
    As far as I know, Canonical (the suppliers of Ubuntu) can provide options for you to PURCHASE support from them -- an option that appeals to companies using Ubuntu that want to get direct support, not resort to Forums.

As to using the Internet -- given that Ubuntu is free, just how would you expect them to support you? Forum support (using the Internet) is pretty much how everyone gets support these days.

If you want direct support, without using the Internet, expect to have to pay for it.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast