Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Compiz

Quote Originally Posted by Petro Dawg View Post
    If using Ubuntu12.04, be sure to run the following commands in terminal to fix all the little bugs with cube rotation and workspace switching.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vanvugt/compiz-preproposed
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

... also a restart is usually required

It took me forever to find this bug fix the first time.
    Now this is where I need some close guidance, please. I'm not well versed in these matters.

Do I run each command one at a time and, in the case of the last two, wait until I get some notification that the update/upgrade has occurred? And only then do a Restart? Or is a Restart required after each command has run?

Please excuse my ignorance and caution.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

If you wanted to be proactive you could raise a bug report for it on Launchpad.

That would be a good way to get involved in the community.

Compiz crashed and quite dramatically (seg fault) but it restarted correctly.

You may want to look in the logs. Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is far more verbose when thing crash so bug reports can be raised.
    Where would I find the logs? And, is it obvious how to go about raising a bug report?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

Where would I find the logs?
    After thinking about it, I think the logs may not be appropiate here.

And, is it obvious how to go about raising a bug report?
    You would want to create an account on Launchpad and raise the bug.

The general steps are outlined here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

To raise the bug, after it has crashed, open a terminal and type

Code:
    ubuntu-bug compiz
    Now this is where I need some close guidance, please. I'm not well versed in these matters.

Do I run each command one at a time and, in the case of the last two, wait until I get some notification that the update/upgrade has occurred? And only then do a Restart? Or is a Restart required after each command has run?

Please excuse my ignorance and caution.
    This is not a PPA i have ever used so i cannot say whether it is applicable to your problem even though it solved Petro Dawg's problem. I'll leave it up to you whether to install it or not.

I will detail how to run the commands though...

To run the commands, open a terminal and type each command one after an other.

The first command will require you to enter your password. It will not be echoed to the screen.

The other commands will not require you to enter your password as long as they are typed in before the sudo timer times out (default 15 minutes IIRC).

There is no need to reboot after each command, only after the last command (If you were to restart lightdm from the console there should be no need to reboot at all but a reboot is easiest).

You will see when they have finished running.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; July 4th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

Do not read newspapers on an empty stomach ~ Russian Proverb ~ BrunoLotse

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Matt_symes is correct, the bug fix I mentioned may not fix your specific problem. But it does fix many common problems you may not have noticed yet such as screen flicker during cube rotation and the inability to move open windows to new cube faces using keyboard short cuts.

I merely do not want you to be left with more little annoyances to overcome.

And I would also add, it doesn't sound as if you actually have an issue. I've also had those "crash" messages appear when messing with Compiz, it seems to be a fickle program. I don't believe anything serious is going on.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; July 4th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all that, matt. I've archived your post so I can consult it as and when the alert occurs again. I'll read up on Launchpad and bugs listed. It's quite long, I notice, and at first read I didn't see exactly the one with the same title as mine.

Beans
    Distro

... it does fix many common problems you may not have noticed yet such as screen flicker during cube rotation and the inability to move open windows to new cube faces using keyboard short cuts.
    I don't actually do much on my Ubu machine except check in to see how the latest 'Folding@home' work unit is getting on, what it's about etc. That said, I can't remember exactly what I was doing when the alert came up. (I'm not sure what 'cube rotation' is, to be honest. )

I merely do not want you to be left with more little annoyances to overcome.
    Understood, and thanks!

And I would also add, it doesn't sound as if you actually have an issue. I've also had those "crash" messages appear when messing with Compiz, it seems to be a fickle program. I don't believe anything serious is going on.
    Well, it certainly hasn't affected my Folding@home activities, thankfully. But you know how it is with something new ... the slightest hiccup and you fear the worst.

Beans
    Distro

I should mark this thread as 'Solved' for now, I think.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold1971 View Post
    I should mark this thread as 'Solved' for now, I think.
    Penfold, please update your system with the latest updates.

You are not alone in this, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1971928

I too was facing this error initially, but it seems to have gone away slowly with updates. Still get it sometimes, occasionally though (maybe about 1-2 times a month only, now)

I don't suggest a re-install yet.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    Penfold, please update your system with the latest updates.

You are not alone in this, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1971928

I too was facing this error initially, but it seems to have gone away slowly with updates. Still get it sometimes, occasionally though (maybe about 1-2 times a month only, now)

I don't suggest a re-install yet.
    Thanks for the info about this error. I have been installing updates - the latest single one today.

Is there an automatic prompt to download and install them? I've been looking in 'Software Updater' in the menu at the top right of the screen, so doing things manually.

I am re-assured that I don't need a re-install. I can't imagine what might have happened to require one, but you never know I suppose. It's not as if I've been recklessly downloading all sorts of dodgy stuff - only the mandated updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold1971 View Post
    Is there an automatic prompt to download and install them?
    Yes, but it runs only once a day by default.

Software center is a little too slow for my liking. If you would like to speed up updates:

1) The GUI way: Press Alt+F2 (Or open Dash) and give the command
    Code:
    gksudo update-manager
    2) The terminal (Dash-Terminal) way:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    (-y = don't prompt)
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12