Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install Debian 7 "Wheezy" testing with LXDE

Beans

Re: How to install Debian 7 "Wheezy" testing with LXDE

Actually, there is no risk using the Debian Wheezy testing, as it is already rock solid. Ubuntu is made out of the same Debian Wheezy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Actually, there is no risk using the Debian Wheezy testing, as it is already rock solid. Ubuntu is made out of the same Debian Wheezy.
    That's just not true.
    Of course there is risk. Debian testing still gets newer packages, and will continue to get newer packages until they decide what they have will become the new stable.
    But yes like Ubuntu, it is quite stable. And like Ubuntu, it is not risk-free.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    That's just not true.
    Of course there is risk. Debian testing still gets newer packages, and will continue to get newer packages until they decide what they have will become the new stable.
    The only risk being that you may have to reinstall, if something goes wrong.
    And the whole thing could be wheezy...

Beans

Could you please post the link to download debian-testing-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Could you please post the link to download debian-testing-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso?
    I would recommend to download debian-testing-amd64-lxde-CD-1.iso (64-bit, without 4GB limit) from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/we.../amd64/iso-cd/ or debian-testing-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso (32-bit for older CPUs) from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/we...s/i386/iso-cd/

Further explanation: I'll get you an answer as close as possible. The debian-testing-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso file is no longer available for download. Debian testing changes very often and these images are produced every week. But you can download debian-testing-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso (there's also debian-testing-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso).

Since this is about Debian: The official Debian system uses free licenses and keeps nonfree software out. But users are still free to download non-free software.

Beans
    Distro

I know Debian "testing" is not the same as "unstable". But according to the aptosid Manuals - APT-Guide the right way is to:
    dist-upgrade - The Steps
    NEVER EVER do a dist-upgrade nor upgrade whilst in X
    Always check Current Warnings on the aptosid main web site. The warnings are there for a reason due to the very nature of unstable (Debian sid), which also updates 4 times per day.
    Log out of KDE.
    Go to Textmode by doing Ctrl+Alt+F1
    logon as root,
    and then type:
    Code:
    init 3
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get clean
    init 5 && exit
    NEVER DIST-UPGRADE [or UPGRADE] with adept, synaptic or aptitude:
    If you do not go to init 3, well tough for you, you have been warned!

Beans

Hehe - the aptosid folks are a bit "careful". While it's certainly advisable to dist-upgrade outside of X, as a practical matter it will almost never cause a problem. I've been running aptosid (and testing for that matter) for years now and have never once had a problem when using synaptic to upgrade (equivalent to dist-upgrade). The only time to be careful is when an entire DE upgrade (KDE or Gnome) is in the process of being added to the repos - best to wait until it's all there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    That's just not true.
    The only risk being that you may have to reinstall, if something goes wrong.
    And the whole thing could be wheezy...
    Not what the average home users expect. In unstable and testing a simple upgrade can break anything (of the packages). testing does receive security updates but can still have hidden bugs. stable has been much better tested. But some think stable has really outdated packages. I mostly prefer to have newer packages than what stable has to offer. Maybe there’s a lack of developers, time and resources? stable, testing or unstable? It depends on what the computer is used for.

Beans
    Distro

Still running on the same testing installation!

About the experimental packages
    "Warning: This package is from the experimental distribution. That means it is likely unstable or buggy, and it may even cause data loss. Please be sure to consult the changelog and other possible documentation before using it."

Mozilla Iceweasel 19.0.2 and Lightspark 0.7.2-1 (YouTube works) experimental packages run great for me. Not experimental package but proprietary Skype 4.1.0.20 cannot connect. I couldn’t install LibreOffice 4 experimental packages.

Is done at your own risk & I take no responsibility for any loss or damage.

Ubuntu kernel on Debian Wheezy works. Download and install from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....9-rc3-raring/

Open Root-terminal (or LXTerminal with su command):
    dpkg -i linux-headers-3.9.0-030900rc3_3.9.0-030900rc3.201303171935_all.deb

dpkg -i linux-headers-3.9.0-030900rc3-generic_3.9.0-030900rc3.201303171935_i386.deb

dpkg -i linux-image-3.9.0-030900rc3-generic_3.9.0-030900rc3.201303171935_i386.deb

dpkg -i linux-image-extra-3.9.0-030900rc3-generic_3.9.0-030900rc3.201303171935_i386.deb

update-grub

uname -a
    Linux debian 3.9.0-030900rc3-generic #201303171935 SMP Sun Mar 17 23:44:49 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux

linux-image-extra contained extra drivers which I needed for my Acer Aspire One. The generic kernel gave me only screen resolution of 800x600. Extra gave me correct 1024x600.

Beans
    Distro

My friend has an older computer and runs Debian 7 "Wheezy" stable with LXDE (dual-boot Wheezy and Windows XP). But with an older computer with an integrated graphics card, Skype 4.2.0.11 shows a blue screen when making a video call. Not a blue screen of death but blue video. When I make a video call I can place a window above my video picture and the blue video disappears. I can still see my friends picture without a problem on this old computer then. CPU usage is still 100% when I make a video call.I have also installed Kdenlive but I had problems importing videos since Kdenlive could not import videos when some folders included ĺäö (Swedish letters).lshw (hardware lister) command:

*-display description: VGA compatible controller product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 2 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0 version: 02 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=i915 latency=0 resources: irq:16 memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:feb80000-febfffff ioport:efa8(size=8)

*-cpu description: CPU product: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz vendor: Intel Corp. physical id: 400 bus info: cpu@0 version: 15.4.1 serial: 0000-0F41-0000-0000-0000-0000 slot: Microprocessor size: 2666MHz capacity: 3600MHz width: 32 bits clock: 533MHz capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr configuration: id=0

My friend liked Ubuntu since it was quite easy to use. I had to install XScreeenSaver on Debian in order to change the screensaver.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast