Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thinkpad L430: Wifi rtl8188ce Unstable Connection

Beans

Re: Thinkpad L430: Wifi rtl8188ce Unstable Connection

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm hoping someone following this one can answer my question. I too am having intermittent wifi connection problems and I have the RTL8188CE card which the OP has as well. My question is why are all the drivers for the 8192 and not the 8188 card? If I look at Realtek's site, they have drivers for both cards listed but this post and others seem to use the 8192 drivers.

Realtek has some new drivers for the both the RTL8188CE and the RTL8192CE-VA4 just released on 10th Jan 2013. Which ones do I use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Have you tried the latest upstream drivers? If not give this a shot

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
    wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/2013/01/23/compat-drivers-2013-01-23-1-u.tar.bz2
    tar -jxvf compat-drivers-2013-01-23-1-u.tar.bz2 
    cd compat-drivers-2013-01-23-1-u/
    ./scripts/driver-select rtl818x
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    Reboot and see if that helps.

To revert just
    Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, asg1290, & others,

The compat-drivers that your Post describes, are now available from the Ubuntu Software center or from:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-quantal-generic
    # substitute 'precise' for 'quantal' if appropriate
    Without the need to compile a tar,bz file.

That version -22, and an update -23, are included with the latest Proposed Quantal kernal update releases

Edit: The Software Center includes versions 3.5.0-22 & -23 as well as in 32 & 64 bit versions.

With both Realtek & Ralink adapters I have found them a huge improvement

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; January 26th, 2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: version info added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

OK, so I'm not super technical. What are you guys suggesting? Also, I moved back to 11.10 because the wifi seemed to be more stable. In fact, it was odd but I rebuilt my laptop to 11.10 and the driver worked well. Then the Update Manager popped up and I installed over 400 updates. Right after that I went back to the old intermittant problems. That tells me something between 11.10 and the updates broke the wifi. So, I rebuilt again and am not doing any updates. Not the best plan but it beats not being able to use the internet.

OK, back to my original question, what are you suggesting I do? What do I look for and install in the software center (synaptic actually)

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, cforput,

Is/was your problem a difficulty in Network connection ? low download speeds ? intermittent dropping of the connection ? persistent Password requesters ? or something else ??

Which Adapter have you got and which driver are you using ??

The 3.6 compat-wireless-modules will work with 12.10 & 12.04, at least they have solved the problems for me, but you need different versions for 10.04 & 11.10.

Compiling the version in asg1290's Post might work, but that is a 'Techie' solution.

Edit: I would not recommend using the Synaptic route as there are too many alternatives - do a search on 'backports' and you will see.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; January 27th, 2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans

My problem is intermittent drops. When I say intermittent, my laptop is disconnected more than it is connected so basically worthless. I have a toshiba satellite L655-s5150 and a RealTek RTL8188CE wireless card. I'm using the drivers that come off the live CD which are working right now much better.

I don't know what backports are but I will look at the post and do some research. I'm just really skeptical to try 12.04 or 12.10 becuase if it doesn't work that means I have to move back to 11.10 which calls for wiping my drive and starting from scratch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, cforput,

Is/was your problem a difficulty in Network connection ? low download speeds ? intermittent dropping of the connection ? persistent Password requesters ? or something else ??

Which Adapter have you got and which driver are you using ??

The 3.6 compat-wireless-modules will work with 12.10 & 12.04, at least they have solved the problems for me, but you need different versions for 10.04 & 11.10.

Compiling the version in asg1290's Post might work, but that is a 'Techie' solution.

Edit: I would not recommend using the Synaptic route as there are too many alternatives - do a search on 'backports' and you will see.

Chao!, bogan.
    My solution gives you the latest drivers from the next kernel whereas your package only installs the drivers from 3.6. I personally needed the latest to get my system up but as always YMMV.

Basically if the packaged comapt wireless works for you then you then great. If it doesn't then compiling from upstream, like my post instructs, is a reasonable next option to try. Good luck
    Last edited by asg1290; January 29th, 2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, asg1290,

Yes, you are partly correct.

In 12.10 the cw-3.6 command actually loads and installs two versions of the backports-modules-cw-3.5. -xx.x source, one '-23.9', in my case, for the latest installed kernal version, and one '.23.29', "for the generic kernal image".

The use of:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-quantal-generic
    for 12.04 & 12.10, was recommended to me by Chili555, and works reasonably for me, if not perfectly, certainly a great improvement.

Chili555 also suggested the same compile source solution as you Posted, with: '2.6.39-1', for use with 10.04 & 11.10, for which the cw-3.6 does not work; though I have not tried it so far.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; January 29th, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: punctuation

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345