Thread: Mythtv Recording to External USB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mythtv Recording to External USB HDD

Been googling for a while but can't seem to find an answer.

I've swapped the HDD in my media centre for a much smaller solid state drive. To make sure I still have enough storage I've plugged in a 400gb USB external HDD, formatted with ext4

I copied (maintaining all permissions, ownership etc) the /var/lib/mythtv directory onto the HDD so I now have
    /media/HDD/mythtv/recordings
    /media/HDD/mythtv/livetv
    /media/HDD/mythtv/videos
    etc etc
    I changed the storage directories to reflect this

Problem.
    When I try and play live tv the system pops up please wait, then returns back to the main screen?

Anyone any idea whats going on and how to fix?

Beans

Re: Mythtv Recording to External USB HDD

Regardless of the copied-over permissions of the subdirectories ../mythtv/[stuff], probably the drive itself /media/... or /media/HDD/... is mounted owner=root (or perhaps owner=your personal user). The whole path to ../mythtv/recordings/ usually should be owner=mythtv, grp=mythtv, permissions 755 or higher to prevent odd permissions errors from happening.

Beans
    Distro

USB is much slower than an internal hard drive. I have no idea whether it's too slow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tez1982 View Post
    Been googling for a while but can't seem to find an answer.

I've swapped the HDD in my media centre for a much smaller solid state drive. To make sure I still have enough storage I've plugged in a 400gb USB external HDD, formatted with ext4

I copied (maintaining all permissions, ownership etc) the /var/lib/mythtv directory onto the HDD so I now have
    /media/HDD/mythtv/recordings
    /media/HDD/mythtv/livetv
    /media/HDD/mythtv/videos
    etc etc
    I changed the storage directories to reflect this

Problem.
    When I try and play live tv the system pops up please wait, then returns back to the main screen?

Anyone any idea whats going on and how to fix?
    It is probably permissions, but you could probably work it out for yourself if you looked at the logs when this happens.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by klc5555 View Post
    Regardless of the copied-over permissions of the subdirectories ../mythtv/[stuff], probably the drive itself /media/... or /media/HDD/... is mounted owner=root (or perhaps owner=your personal user). The whole path to ../mythtv/recordings/ usually should be owner=mythtv, grp=mythtv, permissions 755 or higher to prevent odd permissions errors from happening.
    Thanks I'll have another look at the permissions and see if I can get it working