Thread: Problems installing Lubuntu 12.04

Beans

Problems installing Lubuntu 12.04

Dear Friends,

I have just downloaded Lubuntu and burned it to a CD. I want to install it on an old laptop. Here is a link to the my laptop model. It is 6+ years old.

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...L=1&service=UK

Equium L10-273
    Part Number : PSL17E-009008AV
    Key Features
    - Intel® Celeron® M processor 360
    - Windows® XP Home Edition
    - 40 GB Hard Disk Drive
    - 256 MB DDR RAM
    - 15 " TFT colour display
    - DVD-SuperMultiDL

This laptop has 2 OS on it Windows XP Home and Fedora 5. So its a dual boot system. It works fine. A bit slow though. I inserted the Lubuntu 12.04 CD into the CD drive and restarted the laptop also changed the boot settings to boot from the CD, but for some reason it never really worked. So I booted into Win XP and inserted the CD afterwards. I opened the CD and got the screen with installtion options such as Full install and Demo. I chose that option and then I was greeted by another screen with 3 options if I remember correctly. I chose the one which was Help me to boot from CD. This took me to a process called Ubuntu CD Boot Helper. It went smoothly and I restarted the pc and there was Lubuntu alongside Win XP as an option to boot. I chose that and tried to boot into Lubuntu, but there was this Lubuntu screen which had small dots/sqares flickering one by one, but nothing really happened even after 20 mins or so. So I booted into Win XP and from Control Panel- Add/Remove uninstalled Lubuntu.

I tried to install Lubuntu again using the same option ie - Help me to boot from CD. But this time it gave me some error which is displayed in the image attached to this post of mine.

Now how do I install Lubuntu since the CD does not seem to be a bootable one. CD is new and not damaged at all. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tech291083; July 5th, 2012 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems installing Lubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    So I booted into Win XP and inserted the CD afterwards. I opened the CD and got the screen with installtion options such as Full install and Demo. I chose that option and then I was greeted by another screen with 3 options if I remember correctly. I chose the one which was Help me to boot from CD. This took me o a process called Ubuntu CD Boot Helper. It went smoothly and I restarted the pc and there was Lubuntu alongside Win XP as an option to boot. I chose that and tried to boot into Lubuntu, but there was this Lubuntu screen which had small dots/sqares flickering one by one, but nothing really happened even after 20 mins or so
    You may have problems with the graphics or ACPI or something else, that might be fixed with a boot-option. See this linkhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Please try one of the boot-options. Start with nomodeset

By the way, it would make it easier to help if you let us know what graphics chip/you have.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You may have problems with the graphics or ACPI or something else, that might be fixed with a boot-option. See this linkhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Please try one of the boot-options. Start with nomodeset

Thanks a lot for the reply. It makes sense to me, but you have given a link to a page which has Ubuntu installation screenshots and I am looking for Lubuntu installation screenshots. Lubuntu installation is a bit different as I can tell that from what I have done so far with the CD. can you please also let me know as to how I can ser the nomodeset option before the actual installation of Lubuntu takes place? Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think the basic installation is the same, so the text about boot options is relevant. I beta-tested Lubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

But this time it gave me some error

Did you remove all evidence of the first install attempt as the error message stated? You'll need to search for it all, it doesn't all delete just from the remove programs.

Check in the Programs for a folder.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Did you remove all evidence of the first install attempt as the error message stated? You'll need to search for it all, it doesn't all delete just from the remove programs.

Check in the Programs for a folder.
    Yes, i have done all that you have mentioned. But all in vain.

Ok,

I did the instillation again. Kept Lubuntu alongside Win XP. Used the option - Help me to boot from CD. All went smoothly with the graphical installation of Lubuntu. But now it appears that the 2nd stage of installation is yet to be completed. And it gives me these 5 options to do so, but even though I have chosed each of them one by one it simply does not boot or finish the 2nd stage. Here are the 5 options for booting into the 2nd stage of Lubuntu.

Normal mode
    safe graphic mode
    ACPI workarounds
    verbose mode
    demo mode.

Please help me go past this stage to finish the 2nd stage of installation. Thanks.

Fedora is no longer there on the hard drive, only Win XP and Lubuntu exist on different partitions. Thanks
    Last edited by howefield; August 28th, 2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Safe Graphics looks pretty safe

Burn discs at the slowest speed you can.

Try a different brands.

Check MD5SUM for your CD/DVD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

For How-To's and Information on Lubuntu

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

For Screen-Casts on Lubuntu

http://blip.tv/rss/bookmarks/206798

Rodney