Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

I have never found anything better than the "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide". I used it the entire time I was in my computer systems program, it is simply the best resourse out there.

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
    It's all good!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by ctyc View Post
    I have never found anything better than the "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide". I used it the entire time I was in my computer systems program, it is simply the best resourse out there.

This looks to be a good website.
    I have just started working on Linux command line.. will this be a very advanced guide?
    Even if the 'morrow is barren of promises; nothing shall forestall my return

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jaithehulk View Post
    This looks to be a good website.
    I have just started working on Linux command line.. will this be a very advanced guide?
    I don't recommend the Advanced Shell Scripting Guide for beginners. It has some good information, but also a lot of misleading things and poor syntax.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    I don't recommend the Advanced Shell Scripting Guide for beginners. It has some good information, but also a lot of misleading things and poor syntax.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I've not used Linux in a looonngg time. But I just loaded Ubuntu and I'm anxious to get thru the various resources listed in this thread.

Beans

Eli the computer guy.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6B6473ACF32C59D

Wathing and following these videos gives a pretty good start for using Linux, focus is on Ubuntu server but still useful information.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A couple of suggestions, to consider adding to the Wiki:

Bash Reference Manual
    http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html

Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans
    Distro

These all look like good places to start, i have been using 10.04 Lucid for 8 mos( no internet though) just playing with the gui and the terminal( love the terminal) however would like to get more familiar with the terminal in regards to the fact that i would rather spend most of my time there(the terminal) if possible than on the gui..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by aliuntu View Post
    These all look like good places to start, i have been using 10.04 Lucid for 8 mos( no internet though) just playing with the gui and the terminal( love the terminal) however would like to get more familiar with the terminal in regards to the fact that i would rather spend most of my time there(the terminal) if possible than on the gui..
    I definitely agree with you on spending more time with the CLI. It's all about the power and the more knowledge you have the more in control or power that you have.....good luck!

Beans
    Distro

@ daslinkard, thanks, it is about having more control of the system. The "NewBorn Geek" in me has made a binder with alot of info from the ubuntu documentation site to aide and assist me with the maintenance of my ubuntu system, and its pretty full at this point, i would like to learn how to use python, im just not sure how or where to get started? Ive been looking on amazon for books on python for beginners, ever since i learned about open source in school, i just want to learn more and more, knowledge is infinite.. Peace..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by aliuntu View Post
    @ daslinkard, thanks, it is about having more control of the system. The "NewBorn Geek" in me has made a binder with alot of info from the ubuntu documentation site to aide and assist me with the maintenance of my ubuntu system, and its pretty full at this point, i would like to learn how to use python, im just not sure how or where to get started? Ive been looking on amazon for books on python for beginners, ever since i learned about open source in school, i just want to learn more and more, knowledge is infinite.. Peace..
    The binder sounds like a good idea....the one thing that I started on my desktop that I need to incorporate over onto my laptop is a living document of known fixes for certain issues pertaining to Ubuntu. Even though Google and the forum is great....sometimes being able to do a CTRL+F to find a symptom is amazing. Good luck!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast