Thread: No access to packages

Beans

No access to packages

Hi all, as the section says: absolute beginner... I've been trying to use Ubuntu 10.10 with my MacBook 4,1. The OS runs all right, but I can't seem to contact any packages server. I've tried to install the Broadcom STA Wireless driver for the wireless hardware in the MacBook to no avail.

Trying to install a manually downloaded version of the driver: OS refuses the file as "unstrusted".
    Trying to install from software center: OS cannot fetch files.

Both problems seem to be a staple since Google has lots about them, but nothing really helped. Is there no simple way? NOTE: I'm not behind a proxy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No access to packages

10.10?
    Old and unsupported

Try a up to date version
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

OK then, I guess I can forget about Ubuntu, because this page seems to explain that the most recent version I can install on a MacBook 4,1 is 10.10.

Arrgh... I killed a partition with a fully updated Windows install to make the switch...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did you check the links on the right side of that page? Here's something from those that may be of interest to you since you said yours came back as MacBook type 4,1

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook4-1/Raring

Note that the post is talking about installing Ubuntu 13.04. In the text is what has to be a mis-type: it says to insert the 10.xx disk - I'm sure that was just a carry over from another older page and you should use the 13.04 disk.
    Last edited by squakie; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:29 AM.
    Apparently my cat actually likes tie-on Christmas reindeer antlers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

About the wireless - are you sure you have a wireless adapter that requires that driver?

Post back the output of:

lscpi

I know it will be a rather long list, so if you can find your wireless adapter just copy the info for it and post it back here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Did you check the links on the right side of that page?
    Heyyyyy thanks!... I only scrolled down to the 4,1 section of the list. Anyway I had no clue what "Raring" meant (really an insider info; I'd rather put version numbers there so beginners get the point immediately).

In the meantime I've downloaded, burnt and started the install of 12.04. We'll see, but since you gave me this great link, I guess I'll go for the 13.04 update afterwards.

I'll post back: the output of lscpi if the problem goes on / a thank you message if everything runs all right.

Beans

Thanks, everything works fine now. Still in 12.04. Might go for the update to 13.04 in the future.

PS: you're lucky, I wish I could disguise my cat. He'll simply shred my face to bits if I only try to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't upgrade to 13.04 if 12.04 works. In contrast to 12.04, 13.04 is unsupported. 12.04 will be supported for three more years. You could at some point try 14.04.

Could you mark the thread as solved? Thread tools (top of the page)→mark as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 on 12.04. I only posted that 13.xx link since it shows you could go to a higher release than 10.xx. 12.04 is the latest long term support release until later this month when 14.04 will be released. However, I would be in no hurry to update - if you've got things working I stay as-is for now.

Glad I could help! Enjoy Ubuntu!

BTW - the cat didn't mind the reighdeer antlers for some reason, but went beserk - I mean REALLY crazy, bouncing off walls, running like a mad man - when I put the matching collar with bells on him. Took 10 minutes to catch him and he back to normal once the collar was removed and he moved and noticed he wasn't "dinging" anymore.
    Last edited by squakie; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:54 AM.