Thread: I can't get my TEW-805UB to work on ubuntu

Beans

I can't get my TEW-805UB to work on ubuntu

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=100_TEW-805UB

there is no linux driver I get that I tried using many troubleshooting via-google and this website. I used everything from manually installing ndiswrapper to wine.

so I have used gksu set-up ndiswrapper so it would be in applications then I used the Windows 64-bit drivers to install
    When I check the driver is says it is present aswell as the hardware.

When I couldn't get this to work out for me I attempted manually making a wifi which of course without the USB looking for a signal did not do anything.

I attempted to install Trendnet's Wireless Configuration Utility through wine but wine just closes the moment it opens so that didn't work. Anytime I looked this up people just turn up their noses at anyone posting saying "Look for linux alternatives don't expect wine to open your windows programs" So I'm not sure why I see that so often maybe it's just linux fanboys hating on anyone using windows based programs via-linux.

anyways. If anyone can help that would be awesome I'll try to watch for replies and copy/paste and answer anyone with questions.

I am currently using my laptop to share it's net connection via-ethernet cord so I can't access the internet just haven't gotten the USB wi-fi to work yet in linux (It works on Windows)

I am using Windows 7 and unbuntu 64-bit and I made sure the driver was 64-bit windows 7. After downloading the software and drivers via-Trendnet's site the driver for Windows 7 64-bit is netrtwlanu.inf
    Last edited by Kenneth_Boxall; February 20th, 2015 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I can't get my TEW-805UB to work on ubuntu

Hallo.

I'm no expert in this kind of thing, I'll quite cheerfully admit. However, this link may be of some interest:-

http://blog.danielscrivano.com/insta...-usb-adapters/

Of course, this WAS dated 9 months ago. It's quite possible this has been included into the kernel by now. The RTL8812AU chipset is apparently used extensively by most modern wi-fi adapters, so I would be surprised if it WASN'T included by now. The kernel has gone from 3.13-0.24 to the current 3.13-0.45 in those 9 months; and any day now, we should be migrating to the 3.16 kernel.....

Worth a try, anyway. Don't ever be afraid of the terminal; it's capable of much more than the rest of the system put together, sometimes.

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; February 20th, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS & Linux Mint 17
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Puppy 'Tahrpup' 6.02
    IF the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

Great news Mike, you fixed my problem after 24 hours of tinkering on all angles I will make this Solved. <3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth_Boxall View Post
    Great news Mike, you fixed my problem after 24 hours of tinkering on all angles I will make this Solved. <3
    Oh, that's great. Glad to hear it; wi-fi & networking is NOT my strong point, like I said. To be honest, it's a method I've never had to use myself (thankfully, my network connections have always just 'worked'!).....but if it's helped to get you up-and-running, then that WAS, after all, the whole point of the excercise.

Have fun!

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS & Linux Mint 17
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Puppy 'Tahrpup' 6.02
    IF the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!