Thread: USB stops working after login 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

USB stops working after login 14.04

H All,
    I have been fighting with a DELL Optiplex 740 with four gigs of ram to use Ubuntu desktop 14.04 for AMD processors. After the install, the machine boots fine and gets to the login screen. I can use the mouse and keyboard at this point - both of which are USB. I use the mouse to select the user, type in my password, and the machine starts to load. I keep moving the mouse and shortly thereafter the mouse stops working and then the desktop icons / app bar shows up. From that point on I have no input devices working. How do I resolve this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB stops working after login 14.04

It could be the problem of USB auto-suspending (going to sleep. so to speak). Have you tried re-pluging the devices?
    You could try disabling autosuspending: http://askubuntu.com/questions/80638...like-usb-mouse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When it first happened I attempted to plug the devices into other USB ports with no success. I have bypassed the gui login and gone command line but there is nothing wrong, it sees all of the USB devices correctly. It is only after the load of the desktop icons that I loose all input devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Never mind on this one - I dumped the 740 with the AMD processor, got a 745 with Intel and everything is working smoothly now.