Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu won't set up any internet

Beans

Ubuntu won't set up any internet

Okay, long story short, I've been trying to install drivers, some of them for wifi cards/adapters and some for other things. But, the CDs that have the drivers for my wifi cards/adapters don't have Linux drivers. So I was using Wine to try to get them working (wrong idea, done with that), but I couldn't get Wine setup without downloading things on my other computer and transferring them over; and even that wasn't working.

That wasn't very short, but whatever. So, my computer is upstairs, which is about as far away from my router as possible; which is why I use a wifi card/adapter. I also don't feel like winding a 60 foot ethernet cable down the stairs just to get internet. So, I resolved to bring my computer downstairs, use a short ethernet cable to setup the drivers for my wifi then move back upstairs.

But, when I plugged in my computer to ethernet, it didn't do anything. No automounting, no "do you want to join/setup this network", no nothing. Even when I clicked on "Wired Connection", it doesn't connect.

I realize that I haven't given you much information to go off of, but I'm wondering why this happens and how I can fix it. Is it that I need to install motherboard drivers before I can use the Ethernet port correctly? I am running on an AMD FX-8320 and a GIGABYTE 990-FXA-UD3, if that helps anyone. And I don't think that the disk that came with the motherboard came with Linux drivers. Keep in mind that I am a pretty new person to Linux; I have some experience with command line but that's about it.

Thanks for anyone's help,

-Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu won't set up any internet

Hello , nick70

Please open the terminal in Ubuntu and run the following command and copy and paste the output here.
    Code:
    lspci
    The command will provide information about your wireless card which will be a starting point. below is an example from my computer.

Code:
    24:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)

You can write down the network controller info which should be near the bottom of the terminal output since you have no internet on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 1 Week Ago at 02:07 AM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

[edit]Frogs Hair beat me to it. Well done.

Beans

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port B) (rev 02) 
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port B) 
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port H) 
    00:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx1 port A) 
    00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40) 
    00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller 
    00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller 
    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller 
    00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller 
    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42) 
    00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller (rev 40) 
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40) 
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40) 
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40) 
    00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller 
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0) 
    00:15.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3) 
    00:16.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller 
    00:16.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller 
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 0 
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 1 
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 2 
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 3 
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 4 
    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 5 
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] (rev a1) 
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1) 
    02:00.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 3483 (rev 01) 
    03:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172 SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 11) 
    04:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0) 
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06) 
    06:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192CE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

So, I'm using a netis WiFi card with a Realtek chipset (obviously). Also, I would prefer to use my WiFi adapter, which is a USB NETGEAR A6200 because it has a faster connection and is a bit more reliable, at least on Windows.

Again, neither of these (the card or the adapter) came with Linux drivers. Well, the card did, but I can't seem to figure out how to make them work (they're just sort of in a folder buried deep in the CD under a bunch of different version names; no executable).

Beans

I hope I'm not violating any rules by bumping this. Just to make sure, here's my ifconfig, even though it probably doesn't help:

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 74:d4:35:04:7b:e8             UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1 
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B) 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback   
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0 
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host 
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1 
              RX packets:169 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 
              TX packets:169 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:12225 (12.2 KB)  TX bytes:12225 (12.2 KB)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You are most certainly not breaking any rules! You don't need to wait two days. You don't even have to wait 24 hours like we used to ask. Of course if you bump every hour we'll send you packing.

You're good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

if You can find an Ethernet connection to get online. Ubuntu should automatically find the drivers. well it always has for me anyways

Beans

Wireless RTL8192CE drivers should be included with the default install of Ubuntu.
    That wireless hardware should work out-of-the-box.
    No fiddling with drivers should be needed.

Are you saying that wireless doesn't work at all?
    Or are you saying that wireless works, but poorly?

(If the latter, see http://askubuntu.com/questions/41497...mittent-access for several solutions)

Beans

Ok, so when I first installed Ubuntu (quite a while ago, not the current installation but same computer) when I tried to connect to my wifi network, it just thought for a bit and then asked me for the pass key again. It would do this indefinitely. The same thing happened with the current installation; except now, I must have screwed up the card or something because now no wifi networks show up under the Wireless menus. So no, wireless doesn't work at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A lot of newer Gigabyte boards seem to need IOMMU settings.

Make sure you have the newest UEFI/BIOS from Gigabyte.

turns out the IOMMU needs to be enabled (or disabled?) in the BIOS. This problems seems to be exclusive to Gigabyte boards.

Some also need settings in boot parameters. Test if any work or help, then if they do, then we can make them permanent.

First just change setting in UEFI/BIOS or IOMMU.
    Then try this one: which seems to be iommu=soft,
    You add it just like nomodeset.
    At grub menu you can use e for edit, scroll to linux line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel - IOMMU
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2111223&page=5
    usb, 2.0 usb 3.0 and networking all work now in Ubuntu, and disabling iommu in bios helps prevent windows freezes that was occurring if you are running a dual boot environment.
    And some different settings.

Sabertooth 990FX: Easy solution to get IOMMU working on mobos with broken BIOSes.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254677
    Last edited by oldfred; 1 Week Ago at 06:54 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast