Thread: cup server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

cup server

Hi friends

firstly sorry ,

I need to know what is the use of cup server , I didn't understand what is the use of this service I had read so many reference . I need a simple explanation from your mind ...if it is single sentence I am satisfied ....
    you can learn what is computer ubuntu is the best way .I start learning ubuntu in 2-1-2010 .start with UBUNTU 9 now using 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: cup server

CUPS(Cup?) is the Common Unix Printing System, the default method of printing on Linux and Mac OS X (for the time being, word is Apple is looking to replace it). In other words, the basis of printing on Linux. Required if you want to print.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    CUPS(Cup?) is the Common Unix Printing System, the default method of printing on Linux and Mac OS X (for the time being, word is Apple is looking to replace it). In other words, the basis of printing on Linux. Required if you want to print.

if I install the cup server it will automatically dictate drive for all printer .I am using 12.04 lts is it have cups default .or we need to install them on new ubuntu ...Thanks
    you can learn what is computer ubuntu is the best way .I start learning ubuntu in 2-1-2010 .start with UBUNTU 9 now using 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeshvijayan View Post
    if I install the cup server it will automatically dictate drive for all printer .I am using 12.04 lts is it have cups default .or we need to install them on new ubuntu
    CUPS is installed by default. To access cups (for settings, admin, etc) open a browser, and enter the below in the ADDRESS bar
    Code:
    http://localhost:631
    You can also use http://127.0.0.1:631 .

If you are asked for a username and password in CUPS (Eg, when performing admin tasks), use your username and password.

Most common printer drivers are already built in. If your printer is not recognized, check the manufacturers website for drivers or a "PPD" file.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."