Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 7 and ubuntu 12 dual boot

Beans

windows 7 and ubuntu 12 dual boot

I've just installed Ubuntu 12 on my Samsung Netbook. At time of install, I chose to install Ubuntu along side Windows. I partitioned my hard drive. It looks like everything worked.

After I installed Ubuntu I reset the boot sequence to start with the internal hard drive.

upon reboot windows 7 started up automatically.

How do i make my netbook allow me to choose from windows 7 and ubuntu 12 at boot up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: windows 7 and ubuntu 12 dual boot

Hi dylanb2cm.

Follow the instructions here on how to use 'Boot Repair' to both fix grub (in case wasn't installed correctly), and to select which OS will be the default.

Tell us how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

It sounds like grub did not install. I would try booting from your ubuntu live CD and re-installing grub. This tutorial looks pretty good.

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair...buntu-live-cd/

If you have trouble finding your exact Ubuntu partition label, the Disk Utility program lists the layout exactly. It's included on the live disk.
    AMD FX-8120. 8GB DDR3 1866. Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Computing is fun again.

Beans

to show how much of a newb I am, what exactly is a GRUB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dylanb2cm View Post
    to show how much of a newb I am, what exactly is a GRUB
    Grub is the program that installs itself on the boot sector, allow you to boot into a little text-mode, and choose which OS you want to boot your computer on.

Does that help?
    Regards.

Beans

@Papibe : Correct me if I am wrong, but one can also say GRUB is the linux equivalent of MBR (Master Boot Record) in Windows. Am I right?

Beans

@papibe, Thanks. Yes I've seen GRUB screen before. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm having a tough time getting The Boot-Repair Software as suggested in your link.

I tried to make a bootable jump drive of the ISO image using lili USB. Lili said it didn't like the ISO image. I tried it anyway. Needless to say when I booted from the jump drive I didn't get much more than a black screen with an error message.

I also tried using the terminal instructions to install in ubuntu, but I really don't know how to use the terminal yet.

Lastly I tried to get the boot repair using the software centre but not much luck there either.

Can anyone give a little more detailed instruction on how to get the boot repair going?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was under the impression that you 'just' installed 12.04. Why don't you use the same CD or USB that you used to install it?

Regards.

Beans

The other thing I've noticed, is that if I boot from the original linux live usb stick, it then gives me the GRUB

Beans

@papibe, I think I just tried that. Although I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I did just try booting from the USB that I used to install it. I Get Grub, I can choose between windows and ubuntu. If i Choose ubuntu, pull out my usb and restart than it goes to windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast