Thread: Sound hdmi changes when tv off

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sound hdmi changes when tv off

Ive got a strange problem here. I have a video card running with hdmi and it's plugged into my tv. The sound works fine when I first boot up. But when I turn the tv off and back on, the hdmi sound no longer works and is not an option in the sound menu. It won't work unless I reboot. Any ideas on keeping it on regardless of whether or not the tv gets turned off?
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Sound hdmi changes when tv off

Hi CerealCypher.

This is not a perfect solution to your problem, but try restarting pulseaudio to see if either the sounds come up again, or at least it appears again on the sound menu:
    Code:
    pulseaudio --kill
    Give it a few seconds and check.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi CerealCypher.

This is not a perfect solution to your problem, but try restarting pulseaudio to see if either the sounds come up again, or at least it appears again on the sound menu:
    Code:
    pulseaudio --kill
    Give it a few seconds and check.
    Regards.
    Tried your code in terminal, no effect
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Distro

Got an update. The sound will come back if I log out and back in again. Better than rebooting completely I suppose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have exactly the same problem. Doesn't anyone know what causes this or how it can be fixed/worked around?
    I use my Asus E45M1 Deluxe as a media player. I have XBMC installed on it and ideally don't have to have any keyboard or mouse connected, just my Android phone as a remote. Considering that, having to log out and in every time I turn on the TV isn't an option!

Beans
    Distro

I haven't seen or come up with a fix. You could leave your TV on and activate the screensaver instead of shutting it down. I just keep logging out and back in. I noticed when you log out and turn off the TV, then turn it back on... you need to log in, log out, log back in for it to work again. Frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i have a similar issues when i turn my screen off my theme manager crashes
    you could try using analog audio
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=12
    the tv will think you are using dvi and use the pc audio input for audio
    on my system my kernel does not support hdmi audio on my gpu, but i am not ready to leave my 10.04 install
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post