Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Firefox OS smartphones due 2013 as Mozilla reveals partners

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Firefox OS smartphones due 2013 as Mozilla reveals partners

Well, it should atleast function better than their firefox browser for android. I definitely prefer FF on my Windows PC as well as my Ubuntu PC, but on my phone its chrome, because it is so much better than the mobile version of FF. Looking forward to see these phones when they come out though, but i dont think they would make me want to swap from android anytime soon.
    "We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." -Linus Thorvalds
    "I our department, we can do anything! ... There's a timeframe? in that case, nevermind my previous statement." - My Colleague

Beans

rasmus91 -

Quote Originally Posted by rasmus91 View Post
    Well, it should atleast function better than their firefox browser for android. I definitely prefer FF on my Windows PC as well as my Ubuntu PC, but on my phone its chrome, because it is so much better than the mobile version of FF. Looking forward to see these phones when they come out though, but i dont think they would make me want to swap from android anytime soon.
    Yeah, I would definitely tend to favor the "native" browser for any mobile device, aka Safari for iPhone and Chrome for Android.

Carlos

Beans

Hello -

Here is something I just found :

Meet the Mozilla OS Developer Phone - Sep. 21, 2012
    http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...hone-20120921/
    It’s no secret that Mozilla has been working on a mobile OS. Previously codenamed Boot2Gecko, the project focused on a purely HTML5 based system that worked in many ways like current mobile devices. As the project grew into Mozilla OS, the company has laid out a partnership with ZTE that will have real world devices in certain markets early next year. Testing for this OS had previously consisted of a compiled ROM that would be flashed over a handful of Android devices. Now, Mozilla has moved into full fledged product evaluation mode with their own custom developer phone.

As expected of any developer device, there’s no branding to be found. No one at Mozilla was willing to confirm that ZTE was the manufacturer of the developer device, though the phone bears a vague resemblance to a couple of previous generation ZTE Android phones. The 480 x 800 display isn’t winning any beauty contest, but certainly gets the job done. The phone uses microUSB for power, a 3.5mm headphone jack and a 5MP camera. The phone is powered by a 1.5GHz processor, but no mention of how many cores or the manufacturer.

Carlos

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Firefox getting into the OS arena

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    Personally I wont touch a smart phone until I can have som raw flavour of Linux running on one.... This locked down Android IOS kinda defeats the point IMO of a computer in your pocket (hardware they're more than powerful enough.... but software.... they're too locked down on what you can do

until then... a small netbook/tablet running skype suits me perfectly.. since I am honestly more interested in the carry around compouter aspect tbh
    they have a fsf compliant version of android. I forget the name but its all free software. problem is, I think it only runs on one phone
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

This is good news indeed, I would have loved it if nokia had stuck to meego though as that was really an outstanding and unique OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfE3B6L-Otw

Nokia n9 demonstration with meego.

Until something decent and open comes out no smartphone for me. I will definitely never go for iOS or Windows phone.

Beans

I don't like any of the Android hardware. Hopefully FirefoxOS can get on some good hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Welcome to the new Mobile Technology Discussions forum
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Welcome to the new Mobile Technology Discussions forum
    Awesome!

Now I wish I had a smartphone!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hope these devices are very low cost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zikalify View Post
    I hope these devices are very low cost.
    They are supposed to be for less expensive phones, but are going to be released in limited markets, Brazil I think.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456