Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Software Center is very unresponsive and slow

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Software Center is very unresponsive and slow

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    also see :

software-center (5.3.3.1) quantal; urgency=low

* fix apt-xapian-index plugin (LP: #1019581)
    Not really the point here. I very much doubt OP is on QQ although details of the OS and CPU and RAM are awaited.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    although details of the OS and CPU and RAM are awaited.
    Sorry, I meant to agree earlier that my system is not hugely fast. That's the reason I switched to Ubuntu from Windows 7.

Anyway, it's an Intel Atom 1.6GHz x 2 , with 2GB ram, running 12.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    Sorry, I meant to agree earlier that my system is not hugely fast. That's the reason I switched to Ubuntu from Windows 7.

Anyway, it's an Intel Atom 1.6GHz x 2 , with 2GB ram, running 12.04.
    so better to use synaptic

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Beans

Well, that certainly is your prerogative but I feel something isn't quite right about "BOTH cpus to near 100% for the duration". I don't see that and I haven't come across similar complaints here or over at askubuntu.com.
    No? I thought someone earlier in the thread said it has been a long term problem.

Anyway, SOMETHING is making Software center a real bear to use - too painful by far, and when I see the first 2 lines in 'top' showing Software Center, and the install processes running at 90+% cpu, I tend to think that I am correct in thinking it's Software Center causing it.

btw. should I be trying to use askubuntu, or these forums, for these types of queries?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    so better to use synaptic

sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Yep! (already got it)

Beans

No? I thought someone earlier in the thread said it has been a long term problem.
    btw. should I be trying to use askubuntu, or these forums, for these types of queries?
    I think the long term problem mentioned here relates to the "update-apt-xapian-index" business and not to the Ubuntu Software Center. I asked about it as well when I noticed my CPU shooting up every day.

Where you ask is your preference but wherever you choose to ask, the more detail and background you provide, the more likely it is that someone will be able to help.
    Last edited by vasa1; July 2nd, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

While Synaptic is certainly handy to have around, an even lighter solution is the command line.
    If it's just a matter of updates, then
    sudo apt-get update
    and sudo apt-get upgrade
    should do it.
    You can read more about apt-get here and I doubt you can get lighter than that. (And now the aptitude folk will chime in.)

Beans

While Synaptic is certainly handy to have around, an even lighter solution is the command line.
    If it's just a matter of updates, then
    sudo apt-get update
    and sudo apt-get upgrade
    should do it.
    You can read more about apt-get here and I doubt you can get lighter than that. (And now the aptitude folk will chime in.)
    I do occasionally use apt-get yes.

Where I was coming from was, I wanted to try the Ubuntu Unity experience - hence I tried the "standard" way new users are expected to use Unity. In fact, the same idea was why I decided to give Unity itself a try instead of reverting to the more familiar gnome desktop of previous versions. By doing this, I have, in fact, decided to keep using Unity. It actually works quite well when you lose your preconceptions.

As Software Center was part of that, I gave it a try. Even on a fast computer, I think I would prefer Synaptic. I like seeing what dependencies are needed, and seeing what the total size is, of the app I am adding.

Beans

I do occasionally use apt-get yes.

Where I was coming from was, I wanted to try the Ubuntu Unity experience - hence I tried the "standard" way new users are expected to use Unity. In fact, the same idea was why I decided to give Unity itself a try instead of reverting to the more familiar gnome desktop of previous versions. By doing this, I have, in fact, decided to keep using Unity. It actually works quite well when you lose your preconceptions.

As Software Center was part of that, I gave it a try. Even on a fast computer, I think I would prefer Synaptic. I like seeing what dependencies are needed, and seeing what the total size is, of the app I am adding.
    For anything, something with an elaborate GUI versus a minimal GUI, it's no surprise which will be lighter.

The ornamentation of USC reminds me of Mozilla's add-ons site and Chrome's web store. To my mind, many of the extensions one wishes to download end up being smaller (kB) than the page itself.

Anyway, I came to this thread because I was intrigued by the title and some of the experiences described that would certainly be of concern if I were to experience them.

Beans

Gnome is coming out with an App Store maybe that will help.
    Asus G73JW ROG-A3B7M
    Intel Core i7 || 16GB RAM || 802.11n+BT || 2 x 500GB Hybrid Drives || Nvidia GTX 460M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12