Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cannot change samba smb.conf

Beans

Re: cannot change samba smb.conf

Nevertheless, there is still no visible output when I type "smbtree";
    It's not clear to me why there is no output from smbtree but from the sound of it it doesn't matter since you can now do everything you wanted to do:
    Hello Morbius1, did as instructed and can now not only see the network but browse and copy/save files on my Windows machines and Linux NAS.
    Initially I could only browse the Windows machines, but when I set wins support to "no" in smb.conf I was able to access the Linux NAS too (I am not sure that this was the right thing to do).
    Another strange anomily. The default in samba has "wins support = no" so setting it back to that is fine. Here's the thing though, setting it to yes meant that you had converted your machine to a WINS server. It will only function as that though if you had altered the network settings on every machine on your lan pointing them to this server. Had you not done that then setting it to yes should have had no affect at all.

As an ordained minister in the "Church of if it works don't mess with it" I'd say this all works now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: cannot change samba smb.conf

Agreed. Thanks for the help. Paul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12