Thread: Add second DisplayLink monitor 12.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Add second DisplayLink monitor 12.04

I installed 12.04 using wubi on an Acer notebook.

With the laptop lid closed my main external monitor works fine via HDMI; the second monitor shows only a bright green color.

After some googling I installed the DisplayLink drivers but this caused no changes. Next I created a file as described here...after a reboot I now have a terminal in the HDMI screen and still a bright green screen on the DisplayLink monitor.

I've used Ubuntu on and off many times over the years and I'm surprised to find that this doesn't work out of the box. I read somewhere that Fedora 17 handles DisplayLink well - I don't mind switching distros (or going back to Windows) if necessary but I'd sure like to think there's a not-too-difficult fix for this in Ubuntu. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Add second DisplayLink monitor 12.04

I'm having the same issue, but I did discover one thing: if I run mplayer with "-vo fbdev:/dev/fb1", mplayer's output does display on the displaylink screen. So linux can definately talk to the device, it's just that for wehatever reason, X isn;t playing with it.

ETA:
    Actually, I was able to get it working by adding some config info in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, but then it became the *only* monitor that worked. I tried writing a full Xorg.conf that described both my primary monitor and the displaylink device, but it just ignored the section describing the displaylink.
    Last edited by DorianX; October 19th, 2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Additional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Add second DisplayLink monitor 12.04

I am having the same issues with a green screen, and Googling away without concrete answers.
    Anyone have more information?

[Edit] I am using 12.04, not 8.04 - I can't edit my profile at this time because of my bean count.