Thread: Quittinh Linux and going back to Mac OS? Please help me not to...

Beans

Unhappy Quittinh Linux and going back to Mac OS? Please help me not to...

After almost one year of (first testing, then) using the several versions of Ubuntu, I became a Linux defender and loving Ubuntu, because:
    - I love the concept of free and open source software
    - I hate Apple's attitude, sometimes even worse than Microsoft's
    - There are really great free or open-source apps that are at least as good as the commercial rivals, like GIMP, LibreOffice and, of course, Thunderbird and Firefox, which are the standards, among others
    - The ability to configure almost anything as you wish, especially with Kubuntu, is amazing and lets you feel that you own the OS, and not the opposite
    - In a general way, it can be as effective as Mac OS and sometimes even better, especially with everything correctly set up
    - I felt many times that it could be faster on PPC Macs than Mac OS iself.

BUT...
    - Having to use Linux software with a PPC, I feel too many times that I belong to a dying species... Many important apps won't work (most of Google's, Dropbox, Flash players, etc.).
    Regarding this, I began to think about buying a new Intel PC, delete the Windows stuff (I never used Windows at home, I never bought a Windows computer, and Windows is definitely garbage), and installing a fresh Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Linux Mint, for instance. I would have a modern computer with a wonderful system. I even could run Word (sometimes I have to because people insist in using it and the formatting isn't always compatible with LibreOffice) and other stuff with Wine, which again I can't with PowerPC.

BUT AGAIN...
    - I always have some difficult time with my graphic card (a NVIDIA Geforce 6200). I can't have the 1440x900 resolution working (unlike with Mac OS in the same computer). Video playing is always a problem.
    - I feel sometimes that the computer is slow, although it has an upgraded 1,6 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM, which should be enough to run smoothly. It's true that I use Kubuntu, known for being the heaviest of the flavors. But it's the only one that is really configurable and can be as nice, or even nicer, than Mac OS in my opinion. The alternatives are Unity and Gnome-Shell, which seem to be trying to learn again everything that KDE (or Mac OS) has been doing for a long time, or the rather limited Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Today, I was trying to watch some videos I recorded with my picture camera (not high-res videos) and that I copied to the computer. It was a disaster. With VLC I could hear the sound but the image wouldn't move. With Miro it did nothing. Dragon Player crashed. Avidemux had bits of sound mixed with bits of image...

Then I thought: are the graphic card and the processor really so bad? Am I sentenced to buy a new computer just to watch some low-quality videos? Well, let's try it with Mac OS...

Fisrtly, there was the goog old Finder: very fast (nothing to do with Dolphin), readily available, very logical... just drag and drop the files without worries. Then, the playing: Quicktime just opened the videos and played them smoothly, with a clear image without bumps, and with a great sound compared to what I had heard with Kubuntu.

So.. I'm thinking about not giving up this computer and give to my child, but just use it with Mac OS again. It just works.

But I don't want to. So, if you have any suggestions for having a fast Ubuntu, with a smooth video playing, I appreciate. I don't need suggestions like "just use Lubuntu or Xubuntu". I want a system that is at least as good (graphically, etc.) as Mac OS, like Kubuntu or even Ubuntu (Unity and Gnome-Shell) can be. Anyway, I don't think that the video would work better on those "light" Ubuntu's.

I love Linux and I hate Apple. But I'm tired of fighting against the computer for simple things. So help me, please.
    Ubuntu 13.04 (Gnome Classic) running on a PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth); Kubuntu 13.04 running on a Macbook 2,1

Beans

Re: Quittinh Linux and going back to Mac OS? Please help me not to...

Life's about choice, not absolutes.

I've used MAC, I've used Windows, and I've used Ubuntu. True, a lot of my favorite open source software does not work adequately on Ubuntu, but it doesn't work on OSX either. Eventually Ubuntu catches up, e.g. Skype.

The truth is that there's some great open source software that is designed to work best for Windows and I'm not afraid to use it! For instance, I've used Gimp for years, but the Windows version is soooo much more advanced than the Ubuntu version.

It's my personal preference.

Computers are tools to get things done. If Ubuntu software doesn't fit your needs, then switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by canhoto View Post
    - Having to use Linux software with a PPC, I feel too many times that I belong to a dying species... Many important apps won't work (most of Google's, Dropbox, Flash players, etc.).
    You'll find that on Mac as well. Very few developers write for PPC anymore, since no computer manufacturer has released a new machine with that architecture for the last seven years.

With Mac OS, if you need software for PPC you're pretty much hosed since very few apps provide source. With Linux you'll find more source available but you'll have to compile it yourself, and frankly it may be difficult in some cases since devs may write their code in ways which rely on features specific to x86.

Respectfully, if you want to move forward with either OS it may be time to upgrade your computer.

Beans

My first thought is that the nouveau drivers in Linux might not be as good as the closed nVidia drivers from Mac OS X.

However, have you tried booting with KMS?

I have a G4 PowerBook with an ATI card. Videos play well, and with KMS (and the correct acceleration settings in compiz/etc) the interface is very fluid (with Compiz). You may not have as much success with an nVidia card + open source drivers, I don't know.

Beans

I think of it like this.

If a company can't support Ubuntu then I don't want to support them. I have this luxury because I have been able to find applications that are either better or good enough alternatives.

So far I can do everything my windows box could do, but I had to use different applications.

Flash is dying... and HTML5 is better.. instead of using YouTube try managing real video streams with something like Miro. I don't play Flash games so your on your own there.

Games work great with Wine .. which is surprising, but a testament to the strength of the OS. If you do game you should either donate or buy CrossOver to support those guys.

Google Drive or Drop box suck compared to MediaFire Express so just try that.. It is Unlimited!

http://www.mediafire.com/tour/free/

The FREE! and open source video codecs aren't the best, but we love them because they are open, but if you want something worth while use the Fluendo codec pack. It is only like $30 bucks. Ubuntu is free as in beer, but that doesn't mean you don't have to pay for software to get a nice system. It just leaves the door open so you have a choice.

You gotta learn how to use your computer... not your computer using you which is what most big software development companies are hoping for.

It is true that not all hardware works perfectly with Linux. It is always best to figure out who is playing nice or at least trying to play nice with Ubuntu.

Not all hardware works with Mac OS X either or Windows. I would buy a PC that has been certified to work with Ubuntu like some of the System 76 Machines or Dell, or check out the Laptop Testing Team over on launchpad. They can let you know if the laptop your looking at will work, or what problems it might have.

Using Ubuntu is a choice that leads to many more choices. Mac is a jail which leads to little to no choices which will be increased shortly when all applications will need to be signed by apple to be installed.(there is a configuration option to remove, but who knows if that will stay). Windows is switching to Metro which to me is ugly and pointless.

Any way let me know if you have a more specific question and maybe I can help.
    Last edited by Cardale; July 2nd, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Asus G73JW ROG-A3B7M
    Intel Core i7 || 16GB RAM || 802.11n+BT || 2 x 500GB Hybrid Drives || Nvidia GTX 460M

Beans

First of all, thank you all for the kind replies!

The good news is that the same videos run okay, with the same apps, on... Lubuntu, which I installed meanwhile from within Kubuntu. So, the slowliness is maybe a KDE problem which I should check.
    Also, PCManFM, Lubuntu's file manager, is incredibly fast compared to Dolphin. It's at least as fast as Mac OS's Finder.

Still, Lubuntu is clean and nice, but very poor on settings, effects, etc, especially compared to Kubuntu. And with Mac OS. I could maybe try to use PCManFM with Kubuntu. That already should make things faster. And see what's wrong with video on Kubuntu, since the same machine, the same software and the same OS, but just with another DE, makes that huge difference.

Anyway, there should be a driver problem, also, because of the screen resolution problems, etc. But I don't know if I can even install the proprietary drivers on replacement of nouveau's. Maybe I could tell it to nouveau's people. I appreciate any help on this matter. Also on the KMS matter.

Thanks!
    Ubuntu 13.04 (Gnome Classic) running on a PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth); Kubuntu 13.04 running on a Macbook 2,1