Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and Zorin OS running slow from HDD

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu and Zorin OS running slow from HDD

Hi , I had installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my HDD successfully but it started freezing , I tried opening up mozilla but nothing happened , same with other applications and then the whole system crashed. I then tried to install Zorin OS , succesfull installation again but same freezing instead that this time some applications would actually open up but freeze very fast.

It's weird because both Ubuntu and Zorin OS run just fine from my USB , I am typing from Zorin OS live cd just now .
    Also if I load Zorin OS in failsafex it freezes less and there is a pop up menu that always appear "Your graphic device was not recognized , you will have to configure this yourself" something like that , but that message only appears when I load Zorin OS failsafex mode.

Computer specs
    Intel 82495g
    Intel e1200 Dual core 1.6Ghz
    250 GB HDD
    3Gb Ram
    Zorin OS 5.2

Before Ubuntu I had Vista installed and that was freezing aswel , I thought it was freezing just because it was Vista.
    I don't know if it's the lack of drivers that made the system freeze , any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and Zorin OS running slow from HDD

Bump..

Beans

Anyone?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H4wkBlaster View Post
    Bump..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Three different OS installs and freezing occurring in all three? Sounds like hardware to me. I'd suspect the hard drive first, and go from there.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ezsit View Post
    Three different OS installs and freezing occurring in all three? Sounds like hardware to me. I'd suspect the hard drive first, and go from there.
    Yes but what do I do? I tried checking HDD with Gparted and got "An error occurred while applying the operations"

e2fsck attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in a short read while trying to open /dev/sda1

From USB the systems run fine though..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

First thing I would do is pop open the case, reseat all cables on the HDD, reseat the sata/pata connection to the Mobo.

If that didn't fix it, I would try other sata ports (if it's sata).

If that didn't fix it, I would check the smart status of the drive to see if it has excessive errors. (SMART status can be found in "disk utility" under Ubuntu)
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    First thing I would do is pop open the case, reseat all cables on the HDD, reseat the sata/pata connection to the Mobo.

If that didn't fix it, I would try other sata ports (if it's sata).

If that didn't fix it, I would check the smart status of the drive to see if it has excessive errors. (SMART status can be found in "disk utility" under Ubuntu)
    It shows up as Smart status Not supported

NOTE I am using a different keyboard configuration so I am sorry that I can't use most of the correct pounctuation.

Will try to reseat cables as soon as I read some more suggestions

Beans

Check your bios to see if there is a hard drive test. Run a memory test too. Sounds to me to be a hdd beginning to fail. Disconnect your hdd and if you run the livecd, does ubuntu freeze then? If not, then its a hdd problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    Check your bios to see if there is a hard drive test. Run a memory test too. Sounds to me to be a hdd beginning to fail. Disconnect your hdd and if you run the livecd, does ubuntu freeze then? If not, then its a hdd problem.
    Please read the thread. The op has already stated that it runs fine from a usb device.

Although the HDD is likely beginning to fail, it's possible the motherboard (HDD ports) is failing, the cables for the HDD are failing, or the power supply is failing. Any one of those could lead to the symptoms described.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast