Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Inspiron 15R 5520 failure to detect wireless device

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Inspiron 15R 5520 failure to detect wireless device

Your problem involves ndiswrapper and is therefore not the same in any way I can see. As mentioned, the thread is old and reasonably dead so don't like your chances of getting help (as your issue doesn't match the thread title and is 30 posts deep).

But I'll leave it up to you. Good luck with it.

PS: Have you plugged in a cable, updated, and checked additional drivers? Ndiswrapper is nowadays a last resort and largely superseded.

Beans

Hi,

I just found a reported solution to the wireless problem. I could not test it however, because I am working on a 32 bit system right now.

Please see post #18 in the following link: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/200767

Maybe someone working on 12.04 64 bit might like to test ist.

Beans

I had the same problem. Luckily, It's now been finally fixed.

The .deb package for the drivers has been made available here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/17510...stro-3460-3560

Please make sure to undo any changes you have made to your drivers- i.e uninstall ndiswrapper, undo any blacklisting, etc, .... I.e return to a clean-install type state and then run the .deb file appropriate to your system and reboot.

Try it out and let us know. This solution worked for my Inspiron 5520

Beans

Slvtmong00se, It doesn't work for me. I removed all ndiswrapper's folders and files and cleaned /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist... I don't know what drivers I installed more (except ATI/AMD graphics driver).

Beans

Arrow Re: Inspiron 15R 5520 failure to detect wireless device

Hey I have the same laptop and I'm facing the same problem.
    Do tell me if you have solved it now.
    Last edited by Wild Man; August 21st, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: removed email address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Saurabh2816, please do not post your email address for your own safety.

Beans

I also have the same problem it shows that the braodcom driver is in use but it didn't help.

Beans

If you have a wired connection, go to the tutorial, there is a solution for that problem. Search the tutorial with the word Broadcom.
    Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Slvtmong00se View Post
    I had the same problem. Luckily, It's now been finally fixed.

The .deb package for the drivers has been made available here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/17510...stro-3460-3560

Please make sure to undo any changes you have made to your drivers- i.e uninstall ndiswrapper, undo any blacklisting, etc, .... I.e return to a clean-install type state and then run the .deb file appropriate to your system and reboot.

Try it out and let us know. This solution worked for my Inspiron 5520
    Confirmed, also on Dell Inspiron 15R 5520. Installed like a charm on LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) x64 release 201204 w/ Update Pack 3.

I should add, there were more custom deb packages installed by Dell on the 15R 5520, because I looked in "Additional drivers" on the Dell-installed Ubuntu before formatting and installing LMDE.

There were at least four driver-related proprietary packages in Dell's factory installed Ubuntu:
    1. Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA Wireless driver source (the one you already linked to)
    2. Broadcom BCM434142 Bluetooth Firmware Install
    3. Fix Bluetooth not working after resume
    4. dell-laptop-oneiric driver in DKMS format

Someone (legalnycyklista) on archlinux forum was nice enough to upload all the custom debs they found on the Dell-installed Ubuntu

You don't need all of them, obviously some don't even apply here, like the alps-touchpad-* , bt-dw1703-* , ethernet-alx-* etc, because the aforementioned hardware only applies to the vostro, not the Inspiron 15R/5520 (unless yours came with DellWireless bluetooth instead of broadcom)

Besides the wifi driver, you really only need:
    1. Two packages for bluetooth, and bluetooth proper operation after resume from suspend
    http://wielki.tk/vostro/debs/bt-bcm4...lle2_amd64.deb
    http://wielki.tk/vostro/debs/bt-relo...ic_0.1_all.deb
    After installing these two, and if you want to test if your bluetooth works without having to reboot, just: `modprobe btusb`

2. The customized dell-laptop kernel module package
    http://wielki.tk/vostro/debs/dell-la...ms_1.7_all.deb
    Someone should really look into this to see what dell have changed and why, since this is already included in 3.x LINUX KERNEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Vladiator View Post
    Slvtmong00se, It doesn't work for me. I removed all ndiswrapper's folders and files and cleaned /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist... I don't know what drivers I installed more (except ATI/AMD graphics driver).
    You obviously need to `modprobe wl` after installing the deb package, as DKMS wouldn't automagically load it once installed. Still, it should work if you had rebooted (with the module still there).

So make sure the module is loaded: `lsmod | grep wl`
    Last edited by jasmineaura; September 10th, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Frankly, if you're connected to the internet, there's simply no excuse for this level of ignorance. It's willful. - tsm_sf on /.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After installing liquorix kernel (3.4.0-10.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64), DKMS failed to compile the bcm43142 module driver (wl), with error in the dkms build log about missing asm/system.h

Workaround

$ sudo nano /usr/src/wireless-bcm43142-oneiric-dkms-6.20.55.19~bdcom0602.0400.1000.0400/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c
    replace line 50:
    Code:
    #include <asm/system.h>
    with:
    Code:
    #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(3, 4, 0)
    #include <asm/system.h>
    #endif
    Rebuild/install:
    $ sudo dkms install wireless-bcm43142-oneiric-dkms/6.20.55.19~bdcom0602.0400.1000.0400
    and finally `modprobe wl`. Enjoy your new 3.4 kernel w/ working wifi

UPDATE 13-Sep

I have updated the bcm43142 driver package, with the following changes:
    1. One-line change of the call ndo_set_multicast_list to ndo_set_rx_mode as described here , so that it compiles on Kernels 3.2.x. This seems more proper than commenting out the line that uses the said call as others have done!
    2. Incorporated my changes outlined above so that it compiles on kernels 3.4.x (Might need a few more changes to compile on 3.5.x?)
    3. Updated md5sum of the modified wl_linux.c file (per 1 & 2 above)
    4. Removed "oneiric" (which is reference to Ubuntu 11.10) from package name, and all directory & path-names everywhere in the package contents, as it is no longer ubuntu/oneiric -specific.

Get the updated deb package here: http://jas.gemnetworks.com/debian/wi...5.19_amd64.deb
    Last edited by jasmineaura; September 13th, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Frankly, if you're connected to the internet, there's simply no excuse for this level of ignorance. It's willful. - tsm_sf on /.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast