Thread: Unity key remapping, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Unity key remapping, etc.

Just installed 12.04, specifically to get the lastest Gimp. (The User CP won't let me update the release level in my sig.)

I'm trying very hard to like Unity, and for the first time I can see that I could learn to live with it. If only I could do three simple things:

1. Get the right mouse button to display options instead of launching.

2. Put the launcher icons along the bottom of the screen instead of on the left, and move the top line (clock, date, user name, etc.) to the bottom as well. And permanently show all icons representing workspaces there as well.

3. Assign any Unity function to any key. (Have tried Compiz, but it seems very limited.)

Is any of the above even possible with Unity and/or the Gnome Shell? If not, I guess I'll just have to find another distro.

MyUnity doesn't help much. Is it worth installing Precise Tweak?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Unity key remapping, etc.

it's possible to put the launcher to the bottom, but only with a third party hack: http://www.google.com/search?q=unity%20bottom

I don't think that it's possible to change the unity function key (dash function?). Why do you want to change it? it's quite conveinient to just press the windows key

What options do you want to display where? Right click on a launcher icon should show zhe context menu, btw

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mojo2012 View Post
    it's possible to put the launcher to the bottom, but only with a third party hack: http://www.google.com/search?q=unity%20bottom

I don't think that it's possible to change the unity function key (dash function?). Why do you want to change it? it's quite conveinient to just press the windows key

What options do you want to display where? Right click on a launcher icon should show zhe context menu, btw
    Thanks, Mojo.

Change what? I want to be able to assign any key to any function. For example, Super+F12 to Go-to-Workspace-12.

Right-click on something in a Dash window and something gets opened. It's hardly intuitive.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Unity key remapping, etc.

Is it possible to stop the mouse right button from launching in a Dash window? It's hard to imagine behaviour more unintuitive, so I guess it must be a blunder/bug.

I expect the right button to display a list of options, such as Properties or Open With.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hmm strange, that right click opens the app on your machine ...

When I right click on an unlaunched app in launcher, a context menu pops up allowing me to unpin the app and showing quicklist entries (depending on the app).

It doesn't start the app!

Im on Ubuntu 12.04 64 and tried with unity 3d.

Btw, I think you can reconfigure the unity key with compiz config manager.
    Just open the "Ubuntu unity plugin" and set a new key for "key to show the launcher".

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mojo2012; July 4th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.