Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to install the Canon LBP2900i printer in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Re: How to install the Canon LBP2900i printer in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hi PCD. Thanks for the kind comments.

To be honest, my solution is based more on a Heath-Robinsonian, trial-and-error approach than it is based on a proper understanding of the underlying architecture. That is to say, by trial-and-error, I have discovered that installing all of the above in the order that I have indicated and then following that with my original instructions, the printer will install fully and flawlessly. However, if I follow only my oringinal instructions without the other steps, at least on my Pentium D, then the printer will not work. Neither will it work, at least on my Pentium D, if I simply install the official debs. It may be that some of the above steps are unneccessary. But, if they are, they don't appear to do any harm.
    Last edited by stevecook; May 4th, 2014 at 09:25 PM.

Beans

Okay, ignore my "final update" because I have another one...

All of the below quoted solution works for Xubuntu 14 32-bit aswell. The only additional thing I did was to install Xubuntu restricted extras as well as the Ubuntu restricted extras. I don't actually know if that was necessary but I did it for completeness and it doesn't appear to have had any deliterious effects. I now have the Canon LBP2900 printer working fully in a fresh Xubuntu 14 32-bit install.

For all revisions of Ubuntu 12.04.* this works, at least on my Pentium D.

In order of operations:

(1) Install Synaptic Package Manager from the control centre, if you don't already have it installed on your system.

(2) Open Synaptic Package Manager.

(3) Copy and paste ia32-libs into the search box at the top of Synaptic Package Manager. The application will appear in a box below. Mark it for installation. Then press the apply button.

(4) Close Synaptic Package Manager when the above has been installed.

(5) Open the Software Centre.

(6) Copy and Paste ubuntu restricted extras into the search box. When it appears, below, install it.

(7) Close the Software Centre.

(8) Download the following file (gs-esp_8.71.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.5_all.deb) from http://packages.ubuntu.com/uk/lucid/all/gs-esp/download and, when downloaded, double click it and it will open in the Software Centre. When it does, install it.

(9) Go back to the start of this thread and follow my original instructions on here for installing the Cannon LBP2900 printer.

One final thing to note:

I have been trying to migrate across to Xubuntu from Ubuntu because I by far prefer the XFCE desktop over even Gnome and most certainly over Unity. What has previously stopped me is the terrible hassle trying, more or less unsucessfully, to get my LBP2900 printer to work in Xubuntu. By doing the above in Ubuntu 12.04 and then overlying it with an installation of Xubuntu dektop, I finally have what I want; an Xubuntu installation with the my damned printer working at the same time!

I should reiterate: all of the above works on my 32 bit installation. I cannot vouch for it working on the 64 bit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stevecook View Post
    Okay, ignore my "final update" because I have another one...

All of the below quoted solution works for Xubuntu 14 32-bit aswell. The only additional thing I did was to install Xubuntu restricted extras as well as the Ubuntu restricted extras. I don't actually know if that was necessary but I did it for completeness and it doesn't appear to have had any deliterious effects. I now have the Canon LBP2900 printer working fully in a fresh Xubuntu 14 32-bit install.
    I see you have moved from Ubuntu to Xubuntu. Did you consider installing Trinity over Ubuntu:
    http://www.trinitydesktop.org/
    ?

Beans

Hi there. I have since moved back to Ubuntu with Gnome over the top. The reason being that I could not get LTSP to work with Xubuntu no matter how hard I tried. I use LTSP to run a couple of old machines elsewhere in my house.

Beans

how to install canon lbp 2900 printer in ubuntu 10.04

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345