Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocular July screenshots

Beans

Re: Jocular July screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by DobsonM View Post
    Todays:
    Nice Mac OS X style desktop. I can see that's Arch Linux, but what DE is that? It looks like it's either Cinnamon or Xfce. And what dock are you running?
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by viperdvman View Post
    Nice Mac OS X style desktop. I can see that's Arch Linux, but what DE is that? It looks like it's either Cinnamon or Xfce. And what dock are you running?
    I'm actually running Pinguy (though I am downloading Arch right now to install)

I am using Cinnamon and the dock is AWN.

Beans

Flubuntu 12.04
    fluxbox/lubuntu 12.04
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Scientific Linux 6.2
    Moving all my laptops... I miss GNOME2 too much, Classic Gnome it is not the same, and Cinnamon has many glitches, at least on the crappy hardware I Have.
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hictio View Post
    Scientific Linux 6.2
    Moving all my laptops... I miss GNOME2 too much, Classic Gnome it is not the same, and Cinnamon has many glitches, at least on the crappy hardware I Have.
    you could try MATE @ Mate-Desktop.org
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yes i'm a nood

Beans

Todays:
    Elegant. My favorite so far this month.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hictio View Post

Scientific Linux 6.2
    Scientific, eh? That's a nice, straightforward DE you've got there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goldshirt9 View Post
    That's a nice bare KDE desktop, very very minimalist How do you access apps and tasks? Or does your dock/panel autohide?

Anyhow, here's my first screenshot of the month.

Full-size screenshots here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...otUbuKDE9d.jpg

I have the same wallpapers as before. However, I changed my interface from the typical Windows-style interface that's default for KDE Plasma to a Mac OS X style interface. It all started with an experiment that Max Blyss had started last month with his panel-less KDE desktop (post here) and my response to it (my post here).

Well, I was able to get the takeoff launcher to work very well in AWN via the xautomation package found in the repositories, which gives you the ability to type keyboard presses in command line. This post (here) shows how I can use keyboard shortcuts in command line and make launchers out of them. Simple, you can set keybaord shortcuts to activate various plasma widgets, especially app menus. So I just set Takeoff Launcher's shortcut to Alt+F1, the same default shortcut that activates the GNOME Shell Activities menu... to keep it compatible between KDE and GNOME Shell. It's very very similar to how I had gotten the GNOME Shell Activities menu to activate via a launcher in AWN when I was running GNOME 3.2 in Ubuntu 11.10.

However, there's a huge bug going on with AWN in Ubuntu 12.04 right now. The little green plus signs in both the Task Manager applet and for the Simple Launcher show up every time I log back into my computer. The Task Manager plus is easy to work around. But it also kills whatever simple launcher I have (my takeoff launcher), which means I have to drag the .desktop file (launcher file) into the Simple Launcher every time I log into my computer, which is a real inconvenience. So without a known fix at this time, I had to ditch AWN for the time being... as sad as it is since I love using AWN. So making a panel-less KDE desktop using only AWN could prove very very difficult.

Todays:
    Dobson, you said you're running Pinguy, right? 12.04 version? If so, how'd you work around the green plus problem with the Task Manager applet in AWN?

Anyhow, my dock now is Docky. It's not my choice dock since it has fewer applets and configuration features than cairo-dock and AWN, but it works. I had figured out how to make launcher files for GNOME desktops outside of both AWN and GNOME 2 (Gnome Panel), which translate well to KDE desktops, and drag them into my Docky to make a launcher of them. On top of that, I used gconf to disable the Docky logo which looks tacky when using it in most distros. Next to my Takeoff Launcher (the magenta Ubuntu logo) is Dolphin, and the violet folder with the Zelda logo is a custom launcher that links to my Zelda fanfiction folder. It took a little bit of work to make a few launchers (including making my xautomation keyboard command as a launcher without AWN's Simple Launcher applet), but I now have a working Docky that translates pretty well across my desktop environments.

As for the top panel, the white Ubuntu logo is also the Takeoff Launcher (the plasma widget has to be there for the launcher in Docky to work). I have a different Plasma Activities manager (dropdown menu style instead of the default), and the plasma-widget-menu global menu. I removed the workspace switcher, show desktop, and places widgets so clean up the top panel to make it more Mac OS X like. And there you have it... an aesthetic and functional Mac OS X style interface for KDE.

Computer: Desktop
    Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 4.8.3
    Plasma Theme: Ember (from KDE-Look)
    Window Theme: Oxygen Transparent (from KDE-Look)
    Color Scheme: Obsidian Purple (modified from Obsidian Coast)
    Left Wallpaper: custom Ore no Imuto "Kuroneko Collage" (16:9 version)
    Right Wallpaper: custom-made Ore no Imouto "Kuroneko 3-frame" (black & white 16:10 version)
    Icons: Oxygen Colors v5.2 (from KDE-Look... Violet Glass color)
    Dock: Docky ... features include: Anchor logo removed using gconf ; Custom launchers for Takeoff Launcher widget and link to my Zelda fanfiction with custom icons, all pre-made before dropping into Docky
    Special Features: Dual displays
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by viperdvman; July 2nd, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

/apologies for the tiny thumb

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast