Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCE 12.04 64bit screens

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: UCE 12.04 64bit screens

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    Hopefully there won't be problems with Ubuntu seeing as the Ubuntu Christian Edition has been known as such since 2007 - no doubt with the agreement of Ubuntu.
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntuce

Also, explained at this FAQ (no date though?) http://ubuntuce.com/faq.htm
    That is when there where no extra packages added not already in ubuntu main archives, IE: packages from ppa's and such as i have added in this current iso. With the extra packages we technically fall out of compliance unless an exception is made.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stlsaint View Post
    Please see original post at top of thread!
    I did see the post at the top of the thread.

That's why I wanted to download it.

I just thought I might work on it a bit and then share it with you.

Might even turn these into Debians just in case the negotiations with Ubuntu go south.

Anywho, work looks good. Let me know where I can download it. Thanks.

Blessings.

Beans

Just curious, when will the 32 bit final release arrive?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Just curious, when will the 32 bit final release arrive?
    The date was pushed back while waiting for canonical to get back to me. (plus a rouge mysql-server error!) Heres where we stand. If canonical gives us the green light to add in third party apps than that is the direction we will go with the original version created. If not than a UCE release will follow shortly after their answer.
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Beans

Thanks for the update!

Beans

Just wondering if you might be better off without the "Ubuntu" name. I did a search and saw that back when the UCE first started there was quite a bit of bad reaction to the UCE from the Ubuntu community. I'm realatively new to Linux and did not realize there had been so much opposition. I think it was overblown, but you might save some headaches just dropping the name. That would also give you the freedom to make any big changes with the distro. Would give the Christian edition a fresh start without the baggage as well.
    In any event I would have a 'plan B' in case Ubuntu gives you grief. I'd either drop the 'Ubuntu' and just use 'Linux Christian Edition', or come up with something very original for the name. A single title and your own logo would be nice to keep under one roof various spins. You had mentioned a Debian spin of this.
    Last edited by KBD47; July 12th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just wondering if you might be better off without the "Ubuntu" name. I did a search and saw that back when the UCE first started there was quite a bit of bad reaction to the UCE from the Ubuntu community. I'm realatively new to Linux and did not realize there had been so much opposition. I think it was overblown, but you might save some headaches just dropping the name. That would also give you the freedom to make any big changes with the distro. Would give the Christian edition a fresh start without the baggage as well.
    In any event I would have a 'plan B' in case Ubuntu gives you grief. I'd either drop the 'Ubuntu' and just use 'Linux Christian Edition', or come up with something very original for the name. A single title and your own logo would be nice to keep under one roof various spins. You had mentioned a Debian spin of this.
    That is the plan!!
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm realatively new to Linux and did not realize there had been so much opposition.
    On 23 July 2004, Christian Linux Live was announced. A screenshot was released on 17 December 2004. This distro was not publicly released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro.

On 3 April 2005, Ichthux was released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro to be publicly released.

The following were released in 2007:
    • Ubuntu Jewish Edition;
    • Ubuntu Christian Edition;
    • Ubuntu Muslim Edition;
    • Ubuntu Satanic Edition;
    • Ubuntu Bhuddist Edition;
    • Ichthux migrated to Ubuntu in 2007.

Since 2008, around 100 religiously orientated distros have been released, most of which had one release, and then promptly forgotten.

The flood of religiously orientated Ubuntu spinoffs in 2007 was unprecendented. The long time Linux users didn't know what to make of this phenomena, especially since the distro creators were "unknown" to them.

A couple of concerns were also apparant:
    • The included software would not be redistributable;
    • The included software would be abandoned;
    • Support issues would be tossed at the general community;

Those concerns are legitimate, and have materialized. Fortunately (?), the affected software and distros were relatively obscure, and could be easilly ignored/shunted aside, with little to no harm done to anybody.

I'll skip the opposition that was based purely on religious discrimination, which is probably greater today, than it was five years ago.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jonathonblake View Post
    On 23 July 2004, Christian Linux Live was announced. A screenshot was released on 17 December 2004. This distro was not publicly released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro.

On 3 April 2005, Ichthux was released. This is the first known religiously orientated Linux distro to be publicly released.

The following were released in 2007:
    • Ubuntu Jewish Edition;
    • Ubuntu Christian Edition;
    • Ubuntu Muslim Edition;
    • Ubuntu Satanic Edition;
    • Ubuntu Bhuddist Edition;
    • Ichthux migrated to Ubuntu in 2007.

Since 2008, around 100 religiously orientated distros have been released, most of which had one release, and then promptly forgotten.

The flood of religiously orientated Ubuntu spinoffs in 2007 was unprecendented. The long time Linux users didn't know what to make of this phenomena, especially since the distro creators were "unknown" to them.

A couple of concerns were also apparant:
    • The included software would not be redistributable;
    • The included software would be abandoned;
    • Support issues would be tossed at the general community;

Those concerns are legitimate, and have materialized. Fortunately (?), the affected software and distros were relatively obscure, and could be easilly ignored/shunted aside, with little to no harm done to anybody.

I'll skip the opposition that was based purely on religious discrimination, which is probably greater today, than it was five years ago.

jonathon
    Thanks for that jonathon. You bring up some very valid points. One specifically the software that will not retain long term development. One of many reasons why our UCE/LCE will not be loaded with software that I do not personally speak with the developers about to ensure their end goal of long term support. Also why I like ubuntu as a solid base. The software in here has been sponsored and is watched closely to ensure continued development. A package that does not grow with patches, bug fixes, etc will be removed from repositories.
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12