Thread: stop mediatomb auto starting at boot

Beans
    Hidden!

Question stop mediatomb auto starting at boot

Hi,
    I am running Ubuntu 12.04 server with Mediatomb installed from apt-get. It works fine except I don't want to it always auto start at boot time. I changed the /etc/default/mediatomb file so that NO_START="yes" but it just keeps on auto starting.

Does anyone know what else needs to be modified to make Mediatomb stop auto-starting at boot time?

The reason I want to stop the auto-starting is because there my ZFS file system isn't mounted before Mediatomb starts. This causes the configuration in Mediatomb to be lost every time I reboot. If I ever get some time I'll put in a patch to Mediatomb to fix this...

My solution is to stop the auto-starting and make sure my ZFS file systems are mounted in rc.local, then start mediatomb up. Simple enough.

You help is greatly appreciated.
    Ty
    Yet another tech junkie...

Beans

Re: stop mediatomb auto starting at boot

Greetings,

Have you tried to remove it from your init by running the following?

sudo update-rc.d -f mediatomb remove

The -f is to force the removal if mediatomb is present and running, and it sounds like yours is.

If that doesn't work, you should try: sudo /etc/init.d/mediatomb stop Or: sudo service mediatomb stop

It depends on which kernel you're running.....you won't hurt anything using either one.

I hope this is helpful.

kevin