Thread: 12.04 Empathy hotkeys and notification icon

Beans

12.04 Empathy hotkeys and notification icon

Hello.

Is there a way to get global hot-key for opening empathy incoming chat message?
    And can empathy blink it's icon somewhere instead of just changing color of messaging notification icon?

Beans

Re: 12.04 Empathy hotkeys and notification icon

Unfortunately, there's no simple way to assign keyboard shortcuts to panel icons. However, you can work around this by locking empathy to the launcher and using Super+# (where # is the position of Empathy on the launcher, not counting the dash button) to focus it.

As to your other question, Empathy should pop a bubble notification whenever you receive a new message. If it's not, open Empathy from the Dash and go to Edit > Preferences > Notifications. Check "Enable bubble notifications" and "Enable notification when the chat is not focused."

Beans

Too bad. After focusing contact list i must select the contact and press Enter to open chat window. And if contact list is not opened, but chat window, from which is not possible open new incoming message, i guess.. In this case i actually can press Shift+Super+#, so contact list will be focused. Instead of one global hot-key

Yes, notifications are shown (btw, how can i hide message text from it and how to dissmiss it?), but if i miss notification bubble flashing icon can help.

Beans

Unfortunately there isn't much to be done about making waiting Empathy messages more obvious, and bubble notifications can't be dismissed (althouh they go away fairly quickly). Just a couple things to consider: what icon theme are you using? Some themes have terrible notification colors (i.e. grey to slightly darker grey); I'd suggest ubuntu-mono-dark.

For more support, you can join the discussion about this issue at Launchpad or check out the forum thread regarding the same topic.

Beans

Yes, it's ubuntu-mono-dark. I think it's a matter of habbit. I'm just came up from gnome shell where i have extension that displays number of incoming chats if any, and possibility to answer right from notification.

Thanks