Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Apple wins injunction against samsung galaxy tab

Beans

Re: Apple wins injunction against samsung galaxy tab

I'm not sure what's more shocking... The fact that Apple actually thought they had a case, or the fact that the U.S. system is that broken to actually allow it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't understand why you believe Apple can be placated with some design tweaks and different features. Do you work for Apple or something? You're literally the only person posting on this story taking Apples side. I work for Google and I've seen how my colleagues have consistently worked long hours to innovate and create new features. The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing phone. It's thin, and light, and doesn't even have any hardware buttons on the front at all - yet Apple still are not happy. If you can't see why you're blind.

Apples goal is not to get competitors to "design around" their patents. This has happened several times already, the Samsung Galaxy 3 has even been called out by tech review sites for having a "lawyer approved design" (it's not rectangular, it does not have slide to unlock, etc). Apple keep coming, with newer and even more stupid patents, because their goal is not individuality, it is the utter destruction of all competitors. Steve Jobs himself said that in words so clear nobody can re-interpret them.

What's more, it's very hard to make an Android phone that doesn't share design elements with the iPhone these days, because Apple has copied Android many times in the past few years, for example, its notifications tray is identical to the design that first shipped in Android 1.0, and inferior to the one shipping in Jellybean. Android 1.0 also shipped with a universal search box and pluggable API for it, it shipped with suspend/resume multi-tasking that is extremely similar to the (very unique) design Android came up with, and so on.

IamTheRealMike
    This is why you shouldn't buy apple products. Glad I never have bought one.
    Last edited by darrenn; July 2nd, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 Black Editon, Geforce 8800GT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by darrenn View Post
    This is why you shouldn't buy apple products. Glad I never have bought one.
    Here is the source from Slashdot for the IamTheRealMike quote. http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/06/...nned-in-the-us

Now I would go further than the quote here. The issue with Apple is not just innovation from direct competitors but also from third parties. If the innovation is disruptive enough, Apple will keep it, or at least try to keep it, out of IOS. Here are two examples; (Either of which if they succeed will be highly disruptive).

Ubuntu for Android. Turning a smartphone into a desktop computer is extreamly disruptive to the industry. Now there is no real technical reason why the same thing could not be done with IOS. The reason there will be no Ubuntu for IOS is legal, namely Apple licensing, and the locked up (by Apple) nature of IOS.

Bitcoin. This, if it succeeds, will be extreamly disruptive the the banking and payment industries. Now Apple went and banned Bitcoin wallet applications from their app store. So if one wishes to use a moblie device to pay with Bitcoins this can be done with Android but not with IOS.

What is important here is not whether these particular innovations will succeed or not, but rather that sooner or later a highly disruptive third party inonvation will succeed and that success will take place on Android and other open platforms and will leave IOS and other "walled gardens" such as Windows 8 RT behind. As for not buying Apple products I would apply this rule to any "walled garden" not just Apple's.

Beans

With talk of Apple going for an injunction against the S3 this is ridiculous, one of Apples key beefs is the 'slide to unlock', Sony has this on their Xperia handsets, why isn't Apple going after Sony?

Apple compete on product to product in the market place dammit. You are good at that, this endless litigation is loosing you goodwill and I am sure customers. I know one P'd off customer from the dark side that is about to abandon you.
    This account is not active.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is the Apple I started seeing a while back... when they were attacking Microsoft and Windows with thinly veiled lies and mistruths.

They have a compelling product... they do excellent work figuring out what people want...

But they are starting to focus on lawsuits more than innovation and in the end they will once again go down the toilet with that strategy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I bought an Ipod G2 back when they were new, and I have been kicking myself since. I don't think you get your moneys worth with Apple. Its sad to see big business trying to get to the top anyway they can.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

... and then there is HTC on Apple's litigation radar Apple Loses Bid for Emergency Ban on HTC Phone Imports

Beans

I just sold my iPhone 4S after getting a HTX One XL...was considering the need to have an iPad because of a few apps I USED to use...but now....I am getting a Nexus 7 instead...

I was an Apple person, used a Macbook Pro for several years, same with iPhone but even as an end user (and no matter what I cant complain about service at an Apple store - sadly yet to see that level of service elsewhere - well here in Australia at least)

This constant bickering and bleating from Apple really soured my opinion about them a lot recently. I, as a consumer want choice. I want to decide what platform whether it be iOS (I know many people who are very happy with it), Android, Windows or whatever floats your boat. I do not want some courtroom deciding what I as the consumer am entitled to purchase with my own hard earned cash.

I completely understand the innovations and ideas and peoples right to protect them, but this is ridiculous and to me, I find it very akin to clutching at straws! Competition breeds innovation, innovation breeds interest in a product (heck look what the first iPhone did for the smartphone world - cmon Apple, you did it once, start doing good things again....)
    To me, Google, through Android accepted the challenge and is now starting to exceed where iOS is failing, purely because IMO the iOS ecosystem doesnt allow for much in the way of innovation and change because of its closed in nature.

Most of the 'innovations' on iOS as already stated, have come from Android or the jailbreaking community. I always JB'd my iPhone purely to add the extra features that a device of its so called calibre should already have. Folder implementation in iOS whilst finally a good thing...is attrocious to name but one.

Sure Apple lost a great visionary with Steve Jobs, but stop hiding behind your legal team and start doing things again so that myself and other former Apple users might actually be impressed once again. Until then, it was fun in the fruit farm when it was fresh...now its just all sour grapes.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    With talk of Apple going for an injunction against the S3 this is ridiculous, one of Apples key beefs is the 'slide to unlock', Sony has this on their Xperia handsets, why isn't Apple going after Sony?
    Whether we like it or not, market share seems like it might be decided by patent law, not the marketplace. I am mystified by why companies like Google, richer than Fort Knox, aren't going after bullies like Microsoft and Apple. However, while there's lots of hand-ringing over Apple's injunction, don't forget that Samsung has been hitting Apple just as hard. In April and May, Samsung filed patent lawsuits against Apple in South Korea. This is part of a much larger war and I could only just wish I were a lawyer working for one of them. I'd be buying my island in Aruba right now. Anyway, expect the next headline to state that Samsung has won an injunction against Apple. This stuff is personal. I really don't think it's about the products any more. Just my read...

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I know one P'd off customer from the dark side that is about to abandon you.
    I was a P'd off Apple customer back in '94. Never bought an Apple again. Ever. And never will. They were butts then, and they are butts now. I mean, if folks are going to be offended by Apple, this party's been going on for a while.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Lol, I can't believe that actually got through; something smells very wrong. I wonder if common sense walked off the map, or bags of money were left under chairs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast